yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever had a crankshaft seal come up small / loose ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had a crankshaft seal come up small / loose ?

Replaced my crankshaft seal about 4000 miles ago. Yesterday got to work and oil was dripping badly.

Stripped down the front of engine, the seal still looks brand new but has shifted forwards causing oil leak. Measured it against a Toyota supplied new one and it's 0.2mm smaller than the Toyota one.

The seal I used first time round was supplied by a very popular supplier on this forum so should have been ok.

I read on here that Nev recommends using a loctite product to 'glue' it in. Should I use this stuff on the new one?

Rob.

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
    Replaced my crankshaft seal about 4000 miles ago. Yesterday got to work and oil was dripping badly.

Stripped down the front of engine, the seal still looks brand new but has shifted forwards causing oil leak. Measured it against a Toyota supplied new one and it's 0.2mm smaller than the Toyota one.

The seal I used first time round was supplied by a very popular supplier on this forum so should have been ok.

I read on here that Nev recommends using a loctite product to 'glue' it in. Should I use this stuff on the new one?

Rob.
    hi check your crankcase pressure if there is a lot of build up it will let got got at the weekest point,
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Guess I have to do that running though ..

Will put the Toyota one in and see how I go. You thinking piston rings Terry ?

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        Guess I have to do that running though ..

Will put the Toyota one in and see how I go. You thinking piston rings Terry ?

Cheers,

Rob.
        hi rob didnt know it was you , thats the only time i have ever seen a seal pushed out, back pressure,sometimes i do put a bit of sealer/glue around them, replace it with a yota seal and a bit of sealer, im sure your engine has no back pressure it sounds to sweet
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Use a Loctite compound specifically for seals even on the Toyota seals. I was surprised at how easy the genuine seals go in. Even they seem loose to me. Just don't get any on the seal around the crank.

Nev

Comment

Got to admit I did wonder why the toyota manual said use a drift as it pushed in really easy.....

Will look up the loctite stuff - need to wait for a new cambelt now as the old one is oily.

Thanks chaps,

Rob.

Comment

For anyone who comes across this thread in a search, Nev got back to me and said it was Loctite 603. Just ordered a bottle from ebay for 4.50.

Comment

Hi Guys, I just had a similar problem happen to me on my 2.8 3l Hilux. My headgasket was leaking a bit of oil down the side of the motor then front crank seal starting leaking as well. After removing the head I found it was cracked so replaced the head, gasket etc and put in a new front crank seal. After driving 1000km my front crank seal has started leaking badly again.

I'll try the loctite 603 sealer in there as well and see how I get on. Nev can you think of any reasons why the crankcase would get pressurized and push out the seal? After a good hours driving at 100km/h in my Hilux it does somewhat feel like it looses a bit of power even with the replacement head. The engine does have around 400,000km on it.

Comment

sometimes the breather filter inside the rocker cover gets blocked up. pull it apart and wash it out.
                  might pay to do a compression check as well.

do you have an accurate temp gauge?
                  if not fit one and make sure temps are ok.
                  heads commonly crack from overheating even tho temp gauge never moves !

Comment

My rocker breather just vents to air. Seems to run better like that and I blocked off the intake side. Temperature gauge never moved past half even when the head was cracked but never seemed to get hot or push any coolant out the overflow.
                    Mine is a non-turbo 2.8. I may do a compression test well im replacing the seal to see how good the new head refitted was.

Comment

Working...
                    X