Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh oh brake light

gday guys,

when my handbrake is engaged the brake light on the dash is fully illumenated. When i release the brake, the brake light does not go off but stays dim. After i drive for a few miles it tends to go off but not all the time. I assume there is a microswitch of some sort on the handbrake arm and i am sure the handbrake is being pushed all the way down. Could it also relate to the brake fluid container level switch? the reserve is full and the float is not sticking.

ta
    BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Originally posted by AUSSIESURF
    gday guys,

when my handbrake is engaged the brake light on the dash is fully illumenated. When i release the brake, the brake light does not go off but stays dim. After i drive for a few miles it tends to go off but not all the time. I assume there is a microswitch of some sort on the handbrake arm and i am sure the handbrake is being pushed all the way down. Could it also relate to the brake fluid container level switch? the reserve is full and the float is not sticking.

ta

Sounds to me like the brake fluid level switch in the reservoir is 'foobard'

some models also have a low brake pad warning that operates through this
    warning light.
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Hand brake light

I have the same problem, I have found if you disconect the brake fluid container in line connector, the light goes off, so I can only assume it is a faulty level switch.
      I have left mine disconected.

Comment

thanks for the info guys.....will try disconnecting it and see what happens.. how does the system detect low brake pads?
        BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the info guys.....will try disconnecting it and see what happens.. how does the system detect low brake pads?
          It may be a stoopid question, but have you visually checked your pads? They may need replacing.

Comment

There is no electronic low pad warning.The light will operate if fluid is low handbrake on or low vacuum.Low pad warning is an audible one.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              There is no electronic low pad warning.The light will operate if fluid is low handbrake on or low vacuum.Low pad warning is an audible one.

Neville
              Very audible as well, its simply a piece of metal that as the pad wears down it touches the disc making a luvvvverly squealing noise.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Neville
                Nev

Dont shoot me I'm just the messenger! I wouldn't knowingly give out false info!
                read bottom line of the Japan New Zealand handbook! 89-93 models

I have to say I am just as doubtfull about this feature as the rest of you!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                  Nev

Dont shoot me I'm just the messenger! I wouldn't knowingly give out false info!
                  read bottom line of the Japan New Zealand handbook! 89-93 models

I have to say I am just as doubtfull about this feature as the rest of you!
                  I think your manual is incorrect.I have dismantled brakes and there is none there.I only have a 4Runner owners manual and it states that there is two warning lights.One for the hand brake and the other is a low fluid or vacuum warning.I am now wondering if my info is correct and if this is actually on the Surf.I will have a look in the morning.

Neville

Comment

I think your manual is incorrect.I have dismantled brakes and there is none there.I only have a 4Runner owners manual and it states that there is two warning lights.One for the hand brake and the other is a low fluid or vacuum warning.I am now wondering if my info is correct and if this is actually on the Surf.I will have a look in the morning.

Neville
                    Neville

It may be a translation error in the New Zealand handbook? I guess they are translated and reprinted in New Zealand!

I really cant recall seeing any wiring to the pads!
                    It must be a typo

Comment

brakes

You don't have to dismantle them, just look for the electrical wire and connector, mine has not got one but it sure is squealing, but still has a 1/8th of an inch left on the pad, will have to order some, wheres the best place, I want proper Toyota ones, I have learnt my lesson on after market pads, they are s--t

Comment

Neville

It is correct, my warning light came on, was low fluid indicator. Topped it up light went off.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

thanks guys, tracked it down to faulty level switch is brake fluid reserve....not sure about this brake warning for low level on pads though because i can not see any wiring to brake area..
                          BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X