squeeling noise while driving - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeeling noise while driving - why?

I recently noticed a high-pitched squeeling noise while driving >80kph on the highway in my 1993 Smurf. The noise is quite loud meaning driving in a tunnel with the windows down gives headaches after a while!
    The noise is intermittent and sometimes 'switches-off' for a couple of seconds when going over minor bumps.
    The squeeling goes completely when I just slightly touch the brakes even without any deceleration of the car. It's on again though as soon as I lift the foot.

Any ideas?

Out new pads on it
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Front Disc

Originally posted by Ozwiz View Post
      I recently noticed a high-pitched squeeling noise while driving >80kph on the highway in my 1993 Smurf. The noise is quite loud meaning driving in a tunnel with the windows down gives headaches after a while!
      The noise is intermittent and sometimes 'switches-off' for a couple of seconds when going over minor bumps.
      The squeeling goes completely when I just slightly touch the brakes even without any deceleration of the car. It's on again though as soon as I lift the foot.

Any ideas?
      Your front disc are shot they probley have a high ridge at the outer edge where thay have worn over the years and the new pads are rubbing on it replace the disc's

Comment

Do a search for bronze bushes.

Comment

Any ideas?
          I had the same problem........Wife removed, problem solved
          (sorry, not very helpful I know)
          Mark

If it ain't sunk.....it ain't junk.

Comment

Front pad wear indicators or Bronze Bushes.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

cat with tail shut in tailgate?
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Any ideas?
                Have you been driving though any fields? You may have a field mouse caught in your brakes, it may be screaming cause it feels sick with all the spinning and when you lightly tap the brakes your winding him?
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                  Have you been driving though any fields? You may have a field mouse caught in your brakes, it may be screaming cause it feels sick with all the spinning and when you lightly tap the brakes your winding him?
                  dont be silly the cat would have got it
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Thanks for the extensive feedback. Took of the wheels off yesterday and checked the entire car for screaming wifes, stuck cats, marsupial rodents (don't have many field mice around here...) and other fauna which I may have collected during the last field trip - found nothing.

Pads are still good (which I expected as changed <10.000km ago)

Bronze bushes: Heard about them - would I expect them to switch off when braking?

Discs: Thanks Flint! That sounds like it might be it! Don't really feel like changing the discs right now because of no money and no time. Does it make sense to turn-up the radio and hang in there? Is the noise gonna leave after a while when the pads wear further or is it gonna get worse?

Ben.

Comment

Working...
                    X