yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know where all the vacuum hoses go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know where all the vacuum hoses go?

Hi,
    I am a complete newbie to the site and a good basic understanding of conventional non-turbo petrol engines and recently had an overheating problem on my 1993 KZN 130 1KZ-TE 3.0 diesel. My mechanic had changed all the fluids just a couple of months previously and said that the radiator had been really dirty but that he thought he had got everything out. The engine was not overheating at that time - or maybe I just never noticed it - but I took the car to him and he said the head gasket had gone. I do trust his work but didn't have the money to have him do the work so I decided to do the work myself. I took the precaution of removing and having the radiator checked - It was shot to bits after numerous radiator sealants had congealed over the years and globules of gunk the size of a small fist glooped out when I tilted it over. I had the radiator rebuilt with a new core. I have done probably 6 or so head removals over the years and was quite pleased with myself when it started first time with no apparent mechanical or cooling issues now. My problem is that I have been a complete idiot and not noted where any of the many vacuum hoses start and terminate and as a result the turbo (and probably some other bits) is not coming in. I feel a fool as since my brother-in-law has a 1994 4Runner also with a 3.0L turbo diesel I assumed that his engine bay configuration would be identical to mine. Alas, this is not the case and I have no idea where the VSV's(?) should be located and can only remember that the vacuum line (which I have since chased back to close to the brake master cylinder) runs parallel to and underneath the inlet manifold. I seem also to recall that it had two points of exit. I am totally lost and am in desparate need of help. Does anyone feel confident enough to offer advice? All the pictures, images and photographs I have seen do not have the same layout as mine or are in insufficient detail to be able to help.

Doug,
    North Wales

this any good to you??
    Attached Files

Comment

That diagram is for the 2LT.

Edit: I'm not sure if the manual shows the layout of the hoses, but worth having a check.

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/hil...anuals/1KZ-TE/
      Last edited by MattF; 12 October 2009, 20:30.

Comment

I'll have a trawl through - it looks like what I should have had BEFORE I started the job. By the way, the car does drive but the warning light comes on going up hills and there are no shortage of those in Ruthin, North Wales!!

Comment

You are a star MattF! I may have only to remove the oil filter to get access to the vacuum pipe to sort my poor workmanship, but it is now clear what I need to do and where I need to look to complete the job.

Many Thanks,

Doug

Comment

Glad to hear you found your answer. Btw, there is also a link to a downloadable copy of that manual in the links section of that site, if you want to have a permanent copy of it on your computer.

Comment

Well, I connected all the vacuum hoses as per the excellent guide. This was a lot more work than I had anticipated but to no avail - still no turbo kicking in! The 2 VSV's on mounted on the intake pipe look fine, however there is a similar looking device mounted under the throttle body which also takes a feed from the vacuum pipe. One of the two nozzles on this brown VSV'ish item has broken off but I do have the nozzle which is in the hose, awaiting glueing once. My problem is I am not too sure that this would necessarily influence the turbo operation, and hope that someone can advise on what the likely errors may be.
              All functioned well before the head gasket was changed and the head pressure tested and skimmed, so I am sure this must be an issue of my own making. Since reconnecting correctly the vaccum pipes the engine labours more than it did yesterday with nothing connected! But living without a turbo is not healthy.
              Anyone got any ideas?

Doug

Comment

Anyone got any photos of where they go I need a diagram or photo of how there connected

Comment

Working...
                X