Help Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please...

Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 93 surf 2.4 TD manual.
    Encountered a bit of a problem while off-roading yesterday. After getting stuck on a pretty steep muddy up hill track, and reversing off, we noticed a patch of oil from where I had just been. Looked underneath to see oil steadily dripping from around the rear of the engine/front of the transmission, and first thought was 'this is going to be expensive'. So we moved back to a more convenient flat spot and left it to cool down for 45 minutes or so, and came back to check the engine oil level, which was surprisingly was only just below the full mark. At this stage there was no more leaking from underneath apart from the odd drip that seemed to be just left from the original leakage. I actually had just changed the oil and filter last week, and had overfilled it slighty, and the dipstick was showing above the full mark.
    My question is, is it possible that the leak was excess from me overfilling it, and now that it is back to just below full, I should not worry? Is that normal?
    Or should i be worried that it was a leak from somewhere else, like transmission, diff etc? The oil patch was black, which makes me assume that it is probably engine oil? It has not been leaking since. I have tried to see exactly where it was leaking from, but it is quite hard to tell for a relative novice like me, except to say it is to the rear of the engine or the front of the gearbox..

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers guys
Working...
X