Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil Change time

Hello all

I've recently purchased a 1990 SSR 2.4TD manual (72k km on clock). Judging by the fact it came with no history and a previous owner who probably couldnt find a dipstick or sum plug if you brained him with 'em, I'm playing safe and changing the oil immediately and need some advice.

Have sourced a filter and oil, few responses needed:

- Exactly what quantity of oil does the engine/filter change take (seen a few different figures banded about here from 4.5 to 7 litres)
    - Any special trick required for getting the filter off, looks pretty well tuked in there on the engine offside (apart from being able to dislocate elbow and wrist).

I've already flushed out and changed the coolant as a precaution, any other 'big item' checks or changes need??

Thanks in advance

Scuddy

------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

i measured about 5.5L (not changing oil filter), if your changing the filter as well then you'll be close to 6L

not changed the filter yet, but it looked pretty easy to reach to me... but then i'm used to changing the filter on my MR2s!
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks Shish...hope I'm looking at the correct ?????? filter!

Think so though
      Look out! Ee

Comment

Hi

I'm in a similar situation
        Have done oil change on 3.0 TD 4runner - it took about 6l oil, with filter change. Filter easy to get too on this engine.
        I'm also going to change coolant - was that straight forward?

and tonight I'm going to change manual gearbox, transfer box, and possibly differential oils - as I don't think these have been changed in the last 30k miles on my vehicle
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by Shish
          i measured about 5.5L (not changing oil filter), if your changing the filter as well then you'll be close to 6L

not changed the filter yet, but it looked pretty easy to reach to me... but then i'm used to changing the filter on my MR2s!
          Changed the oil and not the filter

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Scuddy
            Hello all

I've recently purchased a 1990 SSR 2.4TD manual (72k km on clock). Judging by the fact it came with no history and a previous owner who probably couldnt find a dipstick or sum plug if you brained him with 'em, I'm playing safe and changing the oil immediately and need some advice.

Have sourced a filter and oil, few responses needed:

- Exactly what quantity of oil does the engine/filter change take (seen a few different figures banded about here from 4.5 to 7 litres)
            - Any special trick required for getting the filter off, looks pretty well tuked in there on the engine offside (apart from being able to dislocate elbow and wrist).

I've already flushed out and changed the coolant as a precaution, any other 'big item' checks or changes need??

Thanks in advance

Scuddy

Under wheel arch there is a plate that you remove to get filter out.Around 6 - 6.5 Litres.Add so much then check dip stick.

Timing belt should be replaced.If this breaks it will be expensive,

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              Changed the oil and not the filter

Neville
              Wouldn't do it myself, but the official service shedule only calls for a filter change on every second oil change!
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

i've always changed the filter for every two oil changes... especially on mid/high mileage engines that have such a sort change interval like the surf.

the MR2 is 6000mile oil service, i normally change oil every 3000 miles and filters every 6000

if your not convinced, pull an old filter apart and examine the paper element and see how much its trapped.
                [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                  Hi

I'm in a similar situation
                  Have done oil change on 3.0 TD 4runner - it took about 6l oil, with filter change. Filter easy to get too on this engine.
                  I'm also going to change coolant - was that straight forward?

and tonight I'm going to change manual gearbox, transfer box, and possibly differential oils - as I don't think these have been changed in the last 30k miles on my vehicle
                  Fairly straightforward operation to change coolant

Theres a good thread in the forum for changing the coolant if you search around a bit...photos included.

Basically (for 2.4 TD)

Remove bash plate from under engine (4 bolts)
                  You can introduce a coolant flush prior to draining ...up to you but remember if the system is full it's gonna be difficult gettin the flush liquid in.
                  Let the engine cool and remove pressure cap.
                  Rmove the white plastic expansion tank (1 x bolt) drain and clean out
                  Place a bucket under outlet of radiator drain hose (bottom right of rad as you're looking at vehicle)
                  Unscrew the rad drain plug (looks like a white plastic wingnut) and drain out all liquid into a bucket
                  If possible measure how much comes out. This amount plus about 1/2 litre for expansion tank is what goes back in. On my 2.4 TD it was 6 litres (the rest is resident in the block ~ 4 litres which I didnt drain, only released if you drain the block)
                  Flush out radiator/hoses with hosepipe or pour fresh water through until it runs clear.
                  Prepare coolant/water mixture...read instructions but MAX is usually a 50/50 ratio. You may want to put in a coolant conditioner. As I said befiore I needed about 6 1/2 litres total.
                  Close drain plug tight and replace expansion tank and leads.
                  Slowly refil the system with new coolant mixture through the pressure cap connection, squeeze a few hoses to drive any air out.
                  Coolant will top out and no more air bubbles appear when squeezing hoses.
                  Replace pressure cap and top up expansion tank between min/max levels.
                  Replace bash plate under engine
                  Take it for a run until hot enough for thermostat to open..keep an eye on temp gauge.
                  Let it cool down and check level in expansion tank and under pressure cap. Top up if necessary

This worked for me, I have heard that on the 2.4 model it is also advisable to change the thermostat and pressure cap (0.9bar to 1.1bar)

Good luck
                  Look out! Ee

Comment

Working...
                  X