Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldnt Start

Hello everyone.
    Jumped in to my surf this morning, turned the key and nothing, just a click, tried a few times and still nothing, then it started, dont think it was the battery as all lights were on strong and arial was working, done it once more tonight, am going back out again later so see if it happens again. Once it starts it runs ok.
    Any ideas??
    95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Originally posted by bear
    Hello everyone.
    Jumped in to my surf this morning, turned the key and nothing, just a click, tried a few times and still nothing, then it started, dont think it was the battery as all lights were on strong and arial was working, done it once more tonight, am going back out again later so see if it happens again. Once it starts it runs ok.
    Any ideas??

Sounds like a sticky starter motor to me.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      Sounds like a sticky starter motor to me.
      Cheers Mate, is it serious or can it be fixed.
      95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Cheers Mate, is it serious or can it be fixed.
        They can be fixed/overhauled, just depends if you have a good place near you to do it. They should be able to check it out for you as well just to make sure it is the starter, but as you describe it, just clicks when you turn the key it sounds like it to me.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          They can be fixed/overhauled, just depends if you have a good place near you to do it. They should be able to check it out for you as well just to make sure it is the starter, but as you describe it, just clicks when you turn the key it sounds like it to me.
          Thanks agin. I still have a couple of months on the warranty, so will contact them on Monday if it happens again.
          Cheers Kevin.
          95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Contacts in solenoid are probably the cause.This is quite common.There should be quite a bit of info on here about that.Try a search.

Neville

Comment

i agree with nev although in my job as an auto electrician i have had toyotas give impression it is starter i have in past put jump leads on and they start this is due to cell breaking down in battery so when it does it again i would do this though i have changed lots of solenoid contacts in the starters

Comment

Originally posted by ingers
                i agree with nev although in my job as an auto electrician i have had toyotas give impression it is starter i have in past put jump leads on and they start this is due to cell breaking down in battery so when it does it again i would do this though i have changed lots of solenoid contacts in the starters
                Hello, it happend again twice today, but started after a couple of goes, could it still be the battery? as all lights are strong and arial was working,
                Cheers Kevin.
                95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Hello, it happend again twice today, but started after a couple of goes, could it still be the battery? as all lights are strong and arial was working,
                  Cheers Kevin.
                  worth checking the wires to the solenoid/starter, make sure there is no loose connections anywhere
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I say its starter motor internal contacts . A duff battery would loose you lights ,aeriel and even your radio settings if that knackered .
                    Check the earth lead from engine to chassis and battery , Ive had that one before , same simptomes

Rick
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Does enyone have a photo of where the starter is.
                      Cheers Kevin.
                      95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

Thanks everyone. Does enyone have a photo of where the starter is.
                        Cheers Kevin.
                        I don't , but its the thing thats goig click and not turning

Rick
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Hello Again. Got a mate to take my car to the dealer the other day, as I was working,
                          anyway after a brief phoncall with him, he said that the dealer says that they dont have solenoids on surfs, so they have ordered a new relay, because they think it is that.
                          I have to take it up to get the relay fitted, I have printed photos of starter and solenoid contacts, which I got from this site to show them.
                          Could they be right about it been the relay??
                          Cheers Kevin.
                          95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

starting faults

the solenoid is part of the starter motor you have the main body and ontop is the solenoid this is what the wires from the battery and key join to to inspect the contacts yoy have to take the lid of the solenoid have you checked the electrolyte in battery and had battery tested before you get starter removed

Comment

Im getting the same thing on my 4Runner, Have had months with no problem the there's the day where you can try and try and try........ (this could go on)
                              I have had no luck from the Toyota dealer/garage near by, every time i go in there all i get is "whats a 4Runner" Be good to find out what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                              X