Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Noise from front

G'day Guys
    My Gen2 surf was fine, I have fitted free wheeling hubs from Rough Trax and now I have a grinding noise coming from the front area of the truck.
    It is a constant noise, a rotational noise the faster you go the noise goes faster. it's there in 4WD and 2WD, I contacted Rough Trax they sent another hub, as the noise sounded like it was coming from the left hand side.
    I replaced it and all was fine for 10 miles, went on a 100 mile trip it's now back, a bit quieter but loud enough to hear in the cab with windows up.
    When I fitted the hubs I jacked up the front and noticed that the shafts move quite a bit in the hubs, is this normal?
    Would fitting free wheeling hubs make the wheel bearings become noisy?
    Any help thanks

check the bolt with the big washer that screws into the drive shaft ends, so need extra small washers to stop the big washer dragging on the center part of the hub, and causing it to turn the shaft even with the hubs unlocked.

Milners AVM hubs used to suffer from this, don't know what brand Roughtrax are selling.

Swap the hubs out again, and see if it still does it.

Fitting hubs shouldn't affect the bearings, unless crap got in there.

The shafts are loose in the outer bush, the inner often wears and should have lots of play in it, but ecen from new there is a little up and down play in them. TBH, with the hub unlocked, the shaft won't be going round so shouldn't be grinding anyway.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

G'day Tony,
      Thanks for the reply, they are AVM.
      I think you may be right, not o sound too thick...but could you explain exactly what I need to do with extra washers?
      Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X