Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn out Key?

Hi,

I can't turn the key to open my rear window. it will turn to go up but not down.
    Is this likely to be because the key is worn out (I have trouble opening the passenger door sometimes)? Or is the lock shot?
    I can open from inside but sometimes it is easier from outside.

If the key is worn out where can I get a cheap replacement, the dealer just quoted me £60 which is frankly laughable.

Thanks for any advice.

sometimes my key wont turn in the rear lock. i find that if i turn it anti-clockwise first (to make the window go up) then turn it clockwise it works fine. key looks ok and works fine in all other locks etc without any problems. same thing happens with a new key i got cut (after i locked the dog and keys in the truck doh!).

Comment

The most likely cause is a broken wire in the tailgate loom!!!

Not a great pic, but if you drop the tailgate ,look to the left corner, there is a cover and a tube, leading from tailgate ---up and under the rear wing.
      Take off the cover, remove the tube(casing) you will find a bunch of cables .
      One of those will probably be cracked inside.

Hope this helps.
      Alan
      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
        The most likely cause is a broken wire in the tailgate loom!!!
        if you drop the tailgate ,look to the left corner, there is a cover and a tube, leading from tailgate ---up and under the rear wing.
        Take off the cover, remove the tube(casing) you will find a bunch of cables .
        One of those will probably be cracked inside.

Hope this helps.
        Alan
        Thanks for this, just to be sure the lock is likely not to be turning because of a cracked wire? Have I understood you correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
          sometimes my key wont turn in the rear lock. i find that if i turn it anti-clockwise first (to make the window go up) then turn it clockwise it works fine. key looks ok and works fine in all other locks etc without any problems. same thing happens with a new key i got cut (after i locked the dog and keys in the truck doh!).
          I've tried that which is how I know that the window will go up and not down but unfortunately however much I wiggle it I can't shift it. I am going to try Tintin's suggestion at the weekend.

Thanks

Comment

i think he may have misread your post thinking the window itself isnt working on the way down...i cant see how a broken wire would affect the key turning in the lock personally.

if your keys good in all the other locks then maybe its the lock itself on the tailgate.

Comment

aye, think Alan misread your post mate, the broken wire thing wouldn't stop the key turning, would just stop it achieving anything.

If the key's worn, which is fairly likely, a new key should only be £15 tops from your local key cutters, there's no electrics or fancy immobiliser circuitry in it, so it's a straightforward cut onto a plain blank.

Only problem might be if they take a copy from the worn key it might not be a great replica, if you can find the key code so they can cut from that it would be better, i heard rumours it was stamped into the tailgate lock casing and ignition barrell casing, but don't know for sure. I do however have a spare tailgate lock in the garage so could check to see if there's one stamped anywhere on that tomorrow. Obviously the locks, especially drivers door and ignition will be worn aswell if the key is, so you may find a new key is sticky in them anyway.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Update

I got a new key from ebay (£6) and a cutter cut it for a donation in the blind box. Didn't solve the problem so I think a new lock is in order.

Comment

Working...
                X