Half shaft end float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half shaft end float

Whilst looking at my rear brakes today, I noticed that I have excessive half shaft end float, about 1mm.
    The bearing is not noisy and there is no up and down play, just laterally along the shaft.
    Before I go ahead and strip it down, what is the likely cause of this? Snap ring broken alowing the retaining collar to move maybe?
    Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Worn bearing.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

1mm is still within tolerances, just, if the bearing is worn enough to need changing, you'll be getting diff oil over the brakes as the seal will leak as shaft moves.

Its also a bit of a bugger to change, I'd leave it alone untill the MOT says your rear brakes arn't working, this will be axle oil on brakes and time to do it. Rear brakes don't do a lot on Surfs anyway.

But seeing as you have it apart, and fancy it, its reasonably sensible to do it now.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Changing mine is on the 'To do' list, but it's pretty low on it just now. It does look like an affy convoluted set up.

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe I will leave it alone for the time being then. The brakes are totally free of oil so I guess the seals are ok. Plus its just been through the MOT! I can think of far better things to spend my money on anyway.
          Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
            Hmmm. Maybe I will leave it alone for the time being then. The brakes are totally free of oil so I guess the seals are ok. Plus its just been through the MOT! I can think of far better things to spend my money on anyway.
            I'd be inclined to leave it. I'm going to refurb the brakes etc. at some point, so will do mine then.

Comment

Working...
            X