I should know better!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should know better!!

I know I should know this but hey I cant help asking the question?
    I have just greased the drive shaft joints and all went well, But I just cant find how to grease the ball joints! There is no nipple on mine? And how much grease do I pump into them? With the driveshafts I just pumped until clean grease came out!

And I have an annoying rattle which sounds like its coming from offside front wheel area when I'm on a bumpy road, which is most of the time cause I live on a cobbled road-its no good trying to cruise and look good in a rattling truck! I've had the wheel off and shaken everything, but all look's tight and I just cant seem to find where its coming from.

Its really bugging me - any idea's?

Thanks

Sam

the rattle maybe the front drive shafts. Try the same bumpy roads in 4x4. I know you can't run far in 4x4 on the road coz of transmission wind up but my bet is the rattle stops when you run 4x4. If so its the same prob I have with the shafts at the front moving slightly left to right.

Don't have a fix just a poss cause. It maybe a case of new CV joints etc to cure the prob?

goodluck
    Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by sammy
      I know I should know this but hey I cant help asking the question?
      I have just greased the drive shaft joints and all went well, But I just cant find how to grease the ball joints! There is no nipple on mine? And how much grease do I pump into them? With the driveshafts I just pumped until clean grease came out!

And I have an annoying rattle which sounds like its coming from offside front wheel area when I'm on a bumpy road, which is most of the time cause I live on a cobbled road-its no good trying to cruise and look good in a rattling truck! I've had the wheel off and shaken everything, but all look's tight and I just cant seem to find where its coming from.

Its really bugging me - any idea's?

Thanks

Sam
      Sam.

There is a blanking plug that needs to be removed and an appropriate size grease nipple inserted, then you can grease them up. Should be able to get some grease nipples from your local car spares place - apart from Halfords.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll check for the rattle next time I'm in - Where is the blanking plug for the ball joints?

Thanks

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Sam.

There is a blanking plug that needs to be removed and an appropriate size grease nipple inserted, then you can grease them up. Should be able to get some grease nipples from your local car spares place - apart from Halfords.

Cheers
          halfords sell them, just the scrotes giggle too much when you say nipple!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
            halfords sell them, just the scrotes giggle too much when you say nipple!
            My local one don't but then they really are useless, couldn't even get an air filter for a 1.1 Fiesta last time I serviced my daughters car.

Cheers

Comment

Grease nipples

I think the nipples are an M8 the top one is easy as it will screw straigt in when the M10 blank is removed the bottom one is far easier with a cranked 45 degree nipple as the blank is best seen with the wheels on full lock, located on the inside of the lower joint ( wishbone).
              Hope it helps M8

Comment

Thanks again fella's - tried the 4wd idea on the cobbles, the rattle is there regardless - damn!

Sam

Comment

Grease nipple thread size is M6.

Neville

Comment

Working...
                  X