Brake Fade - Phew, that was close.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fade - Phew, that was close.

Driving along at 50, 100 m to stop and turn into a road, hit the brakes rather hard, engaged, then faded, leaving me thinking - oh shoot, do I try to go over the bollards or turn ?

The brake fade seemed too much and caused me great sweats for a moment - anyone else ?
    Nili secundum desperandum

no problems here, no fade... my pads feel a bit too hard so are not as sharp as i'd like (Japanese pads = hard).

Change your brake fluid and check your pads/disks

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
    Driving along at 50, 100 m to stop and turn into a road, hit the brakes rather hard, engaged, then faded, leaving me thinking - oh shoot, do I try to go over the bollards or turn ?

The brake fade seemed too much and caused me great sweats for a moment - anyone else ?
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.

i would suspect air in the system, try bleeding the brakes
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere over a period of time.Get a couple of bottles of brake fluid and flush the whole brake system.Just like bleeding but you pump out all the old fluid.May as well do the clutch (if it's manual) at the same time.

Neville

Comment

I overheated them once, plenty of pressure, but no stopping power, but this was after loads of braking while offroading down long steep hills for hours with an auto.

Never happened on the road with any Toy trucks, even the old pickup trying to stop 35" tyres going round.

Check your pads and discs for glazing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Will check the components. Its not like that all the time, must have overheated the fluid. Will check for glazing too tho as I know this from my old ducati's

Cheers chaps.

r.

Comment

I had brake fade once on my surf, due to 'enthusiastic' driving along 15-20k's of typically twisty kiwi roads, did'nt lose them altogether but coming up to blind junction I ended up standing up and pulling with both hands on the steering wheel to stop in time!!!

But I do know that my brakes need a service-2 tons and only 2 disc's....coincidence?
              Life is not a dress rehearsal
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
              (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

yip thats the one, holdong the wheel and standing - deja vu !!!

Comment

ditto, reminds me of when i fitted a dodgy set of Halford's brake pads to the front of my old Citroen ZX

Comment

Working...
                  X