Fitting A New Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting A New Head?

when fitting a head that has already been pressure tested, is there any other tests that need to be carried out once its been fitted or as its been fitted?
    i only ask as my mate is going to do it for me now but he has never worked on a surf before.
    just wanted to know if there are any things i needed to ask him once he's done it so i know the jobs been done properly?
    or is the priciple no different to fitting a head on any other car? in which case he'll be fine.
    just a bit paranoid as he has never done a surf before, apart from that he is a very good mechanic.
    cheers,
    Jay

Hi Matey

Did mine myself with a little help from a mate. Pretty straight forward (I'm almost sure there's a thread somewhere on here with full details).

Only advice I will offer is to make sure that the new head has the bits from the old one that it needs (if they're missing) I think off the top of my head there's an aluminium plug for the front and a box-type section for the rear. My new head didn't come with these and the result was the loss of an awful lot of oil and coolant :-)

Other than that I dont remember anything particluarly difficult or out of the ordinary.

Swap yer other auxilliary belts whilst your there :-)
    Keep your friends close and a hammer closer

Comment

I fitted a new water pump when I did mine.

A lot of my hoses started leaking a bit after being disturbed. I fitted a new set of them too.

Fit decent quality new hose clamps.

Give the EGR pipes a good clean out.

Also check the front crankshaft seal. Mine started leaking soon after doing the head so I now need to strip the cambelt off to replace. Wish I'd done it then.

Rob.

Comment

cheers for that guys nice one.

Comment

dropped my surf round my mechanics this morning.
          he said £150 to fit it. thought that was pretty good!?

Comment

Just make sure it tightened correctly in the right sequence to the right torque
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

okie dokie.
              would i myself be able to check that it has been after he has done it?
              any ways of testing its been done properly. not that it wont....im just a paranoid type of guy at the best of times! lol.

Comment

Working...
              X