And the smoke is caused by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the smoke is caused by...

Hi everyone Im the guy that managed to get the surf off ebay last week from Somerset.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageN ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=2703384 33706
    I took it to the mechanics today who after a look over think that the problem is caused by oil getting into the turbo. They reckon that this means I need to fit a new turbo and may not be the cause of the problem. So Im going to have to at least try this and see. If anyone does know a way to re seal the turbo or have any advice - this would be greatly appreciated - I can always spend the money on tools instead of a new turbo
    Also will the turbo from a 2.4 hilux surf fit or does it need to be a 3 litre diesel ?
    In its current state its not going far from my drive much to the disappointment of my little boy - we had a good bouncy off road drive over a field which had him laughing his head off. It was smoking like the devil after that.
    Just to let you know the symptoms are - it doesn't necessarily smoke on startup but will be smoking after driving it a couple of miles. The turbo is noisier than usual according to the mechanic.
    Any help or direction is GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gavin

What colour is the smoke and under what exact driving conditions does it smoke?

Comment

if you got a 3.0l then you will need a turbo from a 3.0l as the 2.4 turbos are different.
      I have 2 turbos here for sale that have come out of good running trucks.
      £110 delivered if you need one
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies
        the smoke is grey it comes out when its been driving about half a mile and sometimes when standing but I cant make it smoke just by revving it all the time, only sometimes. Sometimes when revving it it dumps some black carbon out of the exhaust onto the drive. I can see some oil around the back of the head (nearest the windscreen) that looks fairly fresh. There is some oil around various parts of the head. Perhaps I should take a photo and post it up here.The mechanic did say he couldnt guarantee that it was the turbo and that replacing it might not cure the problem but that it was noisy and he thought that that was how the oil was getting burnt. How difficult is it to replace the turbo?

Comment

It's fairly easy but can be a bit fiddly.I would give it a good 1/2 day to do as long as all the bolts come out easy if not then give it a day.

Comment

Thanks Richard Im thinking I would like to buy a turbo from you and thank you for your offer. If that doesnt fix it Im guessing you could say that there are a multitude of things that need looking at from the valve seals to the head gasket. Ther is no water in the oil and visa versa. How is best to pay you?
            Thanks again - really hope this will sort the beast out - best vehicle I have ever owned.
            Cheers
            Gavin

Comment

Hoi Gav i have emailed you details.I did my own turbo 3 years ago but it took me ages to do as i could only manage about half hour a day due to injury.I forgot to put the exhaust-turbo gasket on and it took me about a hour to get it out again and refit.
              The hardest part of the removal ithink is getting the egr pipe from the back of the manifold and also there is a banjo union for the oil pipe under the turbo at the back of the block which can be a pain to get to.
              I would advise getting a new set of gaskets for the turbo and the banjo union as it may save time and hassle later if you find them knackered

Comment

Worth checking the crankcase breather hose from rocker cover to front intake is not blocked - this will cause smoking if it is. I'm not sure if there is a filter in the crank case on the surf which may be blocked? (Anyone re filter?)

Comment

ive seen turbos for the 3.0lt go for £90 so £110 deilvered by stormface is a good deal.
                  another thing, i have a turbo timmier on mine so i never have to worry about my turbo going. turbo timmers are fairly cheap (seen some for as little as £35!) and save your turbo and prolong engine life.
                  a must for turbo veichles IMO.
                  you should look into one mate.

Comment

I personally wouldn't be aiming for the turbo as the first port of call. Oil leak, that sounds like it may just be the rocker cover gasket. The smoking, I'd suggest starting with the filters and such, dumping Redex in it and then seeing if there is any difference.

I may be wrong, but I'd cross the turbo off the list until you've gone through the normal maintenance basics first.

Comment

Yes indeed my worry is that I have jumped the gun a bit - but I suppose the worst thing that can happen is that I will have a spare turbo for sale. Funny that in my naivety I first thought of just dumping some additives in and hoping for the best. You are right Ill check the filters and get to know the beast a bit better before fitting an different turbo to it. Having said that as the turbo is noisy it probably does need replacing anyway. Thanks or the Above tip about the timer too. Ill get to it this week when I get time and let you guys know the results.
                      thanks again.
                      Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by gavinbat View Post
                        Having said that as the turbo is noisy it probably does need replacing anyway.
                        Is the turbo actually making more noise than a good one, or are you just taking the mechanics word for it on that point?

Comment

Gavin the Turbo was collected lunchtime and its on 24hr delivery for you

Comment

Cheers Richard the Turbo arrived today.
                            Matt the turbo does seem a bit noiosy tho without comparison its hard to say. I will check all the filters etc when I get a moment before sending it for the turbo replacement.
                            Cheers for the wisdoms folks
                            Gavin

Comment

Right on Gavin.Did you get the email with the gasket codes

Comment

Working...
                              X