Brake calipers seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake calipers seized

The smurf is in to have the two upper balljoints replaced as they are both a bit weepy and having new pads put on.

Garage has just been in touch to say that the caliper on the right hand side is completely seized, they’ve tried to free it but its knacked. Had been wondering this as it had been pulling to that side for a while so no great surprise. I would tend to get both sides of braking components changed at once so its either Milners for £85 per side or get ‘em off a breaker/ getting refurbs?

Whats the deal? I presume its better getting new with these sorts of thangs and obviously wont scrimp when it comes to braking gubbins. (got to keep albannach happy if nothing else)

Guess my main question is is if worth doing anything else at the same time (i.e. do the disks as well?)

seen as you're running quite a lift, if you haven't allready it may be worth going for the stainless braided brakelines. If the discs are ok i'd leave them, but get the pads changed - the garage willl probably insist on it with new calipers anyway.

Calipers have gone up a bit, last time I had new calipers they were about £70 a side.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      The smurf is in to have the two upper balljoints replaced as they are both a bit weepy and having new pads put on.

Garage has just been in touch to say that the caliper on the right hand side is completely seized, they’ve tried to free it but its knacked. Had been wondering this as it had been pulling to that side for a while so no great surprise. I would tend to get both sides of braking components changed at once so its either Milners for £85 per side or get ‘em off a breaker/ getting refurbs?

Whats the deal? I presume its better getting new with these sorts of thangs and obviously wont scrimp when it comes to braking gubbins. (got to keep albannach happy if nothing else)

Guess my main question is is if worth doing anything else at the same time (i.e. do the disks as well?)
      Hi mate,

If the right hand caliper is seized,(ie no workie) the truck should pull to the left. I would only replace brake parts in pairs, if only to save it from pulling
      to one side or the other. Don't scrimp on safety, yours or others.

Gman
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
        seen as you're running quite a lift, if you haven't allready it may be worth going for the stainless braided brakelines. If the discs are ok i'd leave them, but get the pads changed - the garage willl probably insist on it with new calipers anyway.

Calipers have gone up a bit, last time I had new calipers they were about £70 a side.
        I got a qoute today off a Toyota dealer in Dublin = they want 380 yoyos a side - what a shower of nice peole!

Rav

Comment

A bit cheaper from here... http://www.brakesint.co.uk/index.html £77 each with £20 surcharge.
          I would only ever fit brakes in pairs.
          Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

thanks all. got both calipers done and pads changed so all worky nicey now

Comment

It is possible to strip down and service the calipers- the plunger pots tend to rust and seize after a few years, especialy if you offroad the car.

You can buy a service kit from Milners which contains new seals, rubber gaiters and gaiter clips for a couple of quid. Then it's just a case of dismatling each caliper and using some very fine wet-and-dry to lightly clean up the cylinder surfaces, before thoroughly cleaning and re-assmbly.

Comment

Working...
              X