Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front grill removal

Hello,

my truck is a late-ish second generation 4Runner - it has plastic trim instead of the chrome you tend to get on Surf's. I had a go at removing the front grill (headlight surround etc) today, but couldn't get it to release at all! It seems to be held on by the indicators and then five or so plastic clips along the top edge and four or five again along the bottom. The problem is, to disengage the clips, you have to pull the grill forward away from the truck, but it absolutely won't move. I'm assuming there's some devious way of doing it - can anybody let me in on the secret?

Thanks,

Paul

I don't think anyone has sucessfully removed their grille without breaking several clips. Mine is only held on by the sidelights.

Just remove the sidelights and give it a yank, the clips are gonna break anyway.

Comment

Oh...super

I did suspect that the only way to do this was with a trained squid...

Thanks for your philosophical answer, all the same

Paul

Comment

As far as i can remember you use a very long screwdriver and push on the tab and that releases the clip. But most are normally broken before you get there.

Comment

Hiya,

I actually phoned up my local toyota dealer and asked them and they said that the clips are designed to break for some sort of safety reason - it lessens the kinetic force of impact in a collision with a pedestrian or something...

Oh well....

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by N_WOF View Post
            Hiya,

I actually phoned up my local toyota dealer and asked them and they said that the clips are designed to break for some sort of safety reason - it lessens the kinetic force of impact in a collision with a pedestrian or something...

Oh well....

Paul

Sounds like a line spun to account for the fact that its awkward to get off.

I took mine off an only broke one clip.

Its not as if its important, As Bushwhacker said they can be held on ok just by the sidelights.

Comment

Well, I took it off - the trick, it turns out, is to push the little tag bit down rather than the V shaped bit it looks like you should press...or just press it very hard.

I broke three clips, but managed to keep all the rest in one piece - but as has been said, it doesn't make a huge amount of difference, as the indicators hold the grill on pretty securely on their own.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Paul

Comment

Hiya,

Oh well....

Paul
                yeah right and replacements cost..?
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

I actually asked that and the chap said, "Oh, they only come with new vehicles, we can't sell replacements."

Paul

Comment

I actually asked that and the chap said, "Oh, they only come with new vehicles, we can't sell replacements."

Paul
                    You can get shiny grilles from here...
                    http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=154

Comment

Satoshi it.

Comment

Paul i may have some of the clips here on the breaker if you want to come have a look
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                          Satoshi it.
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            There's just no hope for you is there.

Comment

Working...
                            X