blower speed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blower speed??

Hi, my 2.4 hulix has a problem with the blower speed it only work on full. does anyone know of any common faults that would cause this? it would give me a starting point before stripping the dash.
    thanks

The various speeds are achieved by switching bits of a resistor into and out of circuit and it's quite common for this resistor to fail. If you do a search you'll probably find references to it, but I think it's mounted behind the left hand side of the dash somewhere.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

The blower speeds are controlled by a resistor pack fitted (I think) into the heater ducting (maybe to cool the resistors if in cold air). Whatever, this pack is tucked up behind the blower in the pax footwell and has a 4 wire connector on it. It is held in place by 2 cross-head screws and can be removed without taking anything else apart provided you are reasonably supple and have double jointed fingers. (like much else on a Surf really).
      Ask me how I know all this!
      I believe there are variations on the theme but mine is a 4 speed fan and has 3 resistors. Mine are open coils of various gauge resistance wire and the medium gauge one had broken. It is possible to replace this bit with a 1 ohm power resistor, a 10 watt one fits, BUT is overloaded on speed two. I couldn't find a higher wattage that woould fit in the available space. So I don't use speed 2.

Good luck,
      Gordon
      2nd gen Ltd

Comment

check this out ......
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ant+Heater+Fan

Hope it helps

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

I may have 2nd hand unit if you need it .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

There's an early resistor which is exposed wires and the latter encased in ceramic block. They are different sizes and not interchangeable.

Late model resistor pic.

Nev

Comment

Thanks All for the help, found resistor and new part ordered.
              thanks again great help.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                I may have 2nd hand unit if you need it .
                thanks for the offer but didnt check the forum before ordering new part. will learn by my mistake!!
                cheers

Comment

This what the old type looks like

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                  X