Headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headache

Hi. i own a 2.4 surf & i need some help/advice. This car always had a gurgling sound behind dash,anyway i drove this car to Spain,it sort of breifly over heated at Nabonne in France,i let it cool & added coolant & it drove another 420 miles to my desination with no problems. The following day it over heated again & pumped water out of expansion tank. It has not over heated since nomatter how long i leave it running. HOWEVER now as soon as it comes onto boost the engine management light comes on & it goes into limp mode. I have done the fault code test that i got from this site(helpful) it flashes 12 times (timer control valve,(pump) Now this car is stranded in Spain & i need to repair it & repatriate it. I cant fly back & forth so i need to take a comprehensive approach ie,go to Spain & make it happen ! Can anyone give any advise/help ?

I think I'd replace the pump/valve and flush n burp the cooling system when refilling, after checking no oil water contamination/cracked head probs. Expansion tank overflowing usually points to air in the system, I'm no mechanic but been here two years and these are the general tips I've picked up regards your model. H

Comment

Timing control valve is a ####### of a thing to change, is very expensive, and usually doesn't fix the problem anyway. Probably isn't the pump either. Usually this error code is caused by things such as: a fuel filter blockage or air leak problem, an air leak in the fuel lines either side of the filter, a blocked air filter in the fuel vent line near the tank, or some other fairly simple thing. The fact it goes into limp mode is a bugger when driving long trips, but the engine light illuminating isn't really any big deal - these lights are mainly for the air pollution 'thingys' (sensors) in the engine system, but frighten the 'bejesus' out of us when they come on. Check out the simple things first.

The cooling system is another deal and you need to ensure it is working okay before driving again.

Comment

headache

Going out to Spain this week,thanks for advice. Already changed filters,drained & replaced fuel,cant hear any vacume noise hissing ect. Any paticular pipe locations you can point me to ? Car no longer overheating.

Comment

You won't hear any air leaks in the fuel lines. You also don't often get fuel leaking from them. When the injector pump sucks, it can draw air into the fuel lines, so reducing the efficiency and illuminating the engine check light. The hose that goes from the rigid pipeline to the fuel filter, or the hose that goes from the filter to the pump can be the ones that leak. Also the fuel filter gasket (o-ring) can leak. If the vent line filter is blocked, your tank becomes slightly 'vacuumised' and you hear a hiss when you take the fuel cap off after driving for awhile. Also (sometimes) you will find the primer button on your filter has been drawn down if the vacuum is there.

Comment

Working...
          X