Glowplug technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowplug technique

Does anyone know an easier way of changing the glow plugs that doesn't require removing the air intake pipe, and the turbo outlet pipe?

Only asking because I've just changed my glow plugs but managed to damage one of the new ones, so had to leave one old one in place until Monday when hopefully shops will start to reopen. I'd really like to not have to remove all that pipe work again, just to change one plug (I left the front one in as it's the easiest to reach).
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Doing mine on the weekend so i will let you know

Chris

Comment

Well I replaced the one I damaged yesterday, only took 30 mins this time. I can't find a quicker way. You will need deep reach sockets size 10mm, 13mm, and 8mm. Remember to make sure that there is no power so you don't blow the 80amp fuse.

But the quickest technique I could find (and this was my third time) is to take of the air filter cover and disconect it at the rubber pipe going into the turbo. Remove the metal turbo outlet pipe, and the oil breather pipe. After the you have pretty much clear access, although the heater pipes interfere with the fourth plug (extension bar and swearing helps). It's also a good idea to have a magnetic pick up tool so you can get the nuts back that you will drop into the engine bay.

Good luck, it is really quite an easy job which makes a huge difference.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        Well I replaced the one I damaged yesterday, only took 30 mins this time. I can't find a quicker way. You will need deep reach sockets size 10mm, 13mm, and 8mm. Remember to make sure that there is no power so you don't blow the 80amp fuse.

But the quickest technique I could find (and this was my third time) is to take of the air filter cover and disconect it at the rubber pipe going into the turbo. Remove the metal turbo outlet pipe, and the oil breather pipe. After the you have pretty much clear access, although the heater pipes interfere with the fourth plug (extension bar and swearing helps). It's also a good idea to have a magnetic pick up tool so you can get the nuts back that you will drop into the engine bay.

Good luck, it is really quite an easy job which makes a huge difference.
        Hi Maverick,

I'm having poor starting probs right now, does changing
        the glow plugs really make that much differance? fitting a
        new ECU temp sensor tomoz hoping this will also help.

Cheers

GMAN
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

You will need deep reach sockets size 10mm, 13mm, and 8mm.
          Glow Plugs are 12mm.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Glow Plugs are 12mm.

Nev

Yeah, what he said.
            Nothing on a Surf requires a 13mm socket or spanner.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
              Hi Maverick,

I'm having poor starting probs right now, does changing
              the glow plugs really make that much differance? fitting a
              new ECU temp sensor tomoz hoping this will also help.

Cheers

GMAN
              If your glow plugs are on the way out then yes changing them will made a massive difference. Generally when she turns over without firing for more than 30 seconds, and then for the rest of the day she starts like a dream, I change the glow plugs.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Yeah, what he said.
                Normally I wouldn't question information from either of yourselves, but the socket marked 12mm doesn't fit, and the one stamped 13mm fits the glow plugs.

Of course there is the possibility that both of my deep sockets sets have been marked incorrectly.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Of course there is the possibility that both of my deep sockets sets have been marked incorrectly.

Yeah, that'll be the problem.

Comment

Actually you could be correct, because both sets came from a corner shop, and were less than a tenner. They were bought in a hurry (on the first glow plug change) and as they haven't broken yet, I haven't bothered to upgrade them.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Japanese automotive 8mm have a 12mm head. If you replace bolts with aftermarket automotive they you will need a 13mm.

Nev

Comment

Cheers guys

Got my new plugs from roughtrax, got the change done removing airfilter pipe then releasing the collars on the turbo pipe and rotating it (the metal bit with Efi on it) 45degrees clock wise, only just enough room but worked for number 3 plug back one was a pain with the heater pipes and throttle cable still lol.

Right off to work.

peace
                        cal
                        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X