CV boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV boot

One of mine seems to have gone, big split in it and grease all over the wheel arch. I've had a look on a previous thread and have found a few answers, but i was wondering how long i should expect this to take me, should i attempt it being inexperienced and can i just replace 1 at a time or should i do both sides? Also, is it okay to drive it in the meantime?

Thanks, Nick.

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
    One of mine seems to have gone, big split in it and grease all over the wheel arch. I've had a look on a previous thread and have found a few answers, but i was wondering how long i should expect this to take me, should i attempt it being inexperienced and can i just replace 1 at a time or should i do both sides? Also, is it okay to drive it in the meantime?

Thanks, Nick.
    Nick, when ours went, (and it wasnt too bad) we packed it out with grease to drive home, and made sure there wasnt too much weight in the back.

I watch Tony change it - took a couple of hours, but wasn't too hard - he put a post up at the time with details of how he did it and some pics. I just had a look but I cant find it now. Have a look, if you cant find it I'll get him to repost it.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
      Nick, when ours went, (and it wasnt too bad) we packed it out with grease to drive home, and made sure there wasnt too much weight in the back.

I watch Tony change it - took a couple of hours, but wasn't too hard - he put a post up at the time with details of how he did it and some pics. I just had a look but I cant find it now. Have a look, if you cant find it I'll get him to repost it.

Great, thanks Linda, I'll have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda

I watch Tony change it - took a couple of hours,

Allow yourself about 5 hours if it's your first CV boot change- getting the drive axle out and in again is the hardest part (the ADD (passegener) side) is probably the most difficult as there is less room to manouvre the drive axle.

If you've got the Haynes Diesel 4Runner manual the info is all in there.

Nevilllef

Comment

Okay, i'm gonna give it a go, do i need to use any special grease?

Linda i cant find that thread, could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

i got new cv boot from milners grease included with new one
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Remember, you can't split the outer CV joint, you need the dismantle the inner one to slide the new gaiter on.

Unless you've got one of these.....

http://www.ligum.co.il/boot_slider.html

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by SurfnTurf
                Okay, i'm gonna give it a go, do i need to use any special grease?

Linda i cant find that thread, could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Nick.
                Nick - turns out he took all the pics but didnt post it in the end - I'll have him do it tonight for you!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

If one boot is split then replace both outer and inner boots because it has to be dismantled anyway.This will save a lot of time in the long run.

Neville

Comment

Working...
                  X