Viscous Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous Fan

Ok I've read every post on here about fans and just wondered like you do when your at work playing with micro scalextric .........would it be possible to drill and tap a small hole in the fan hub and inject the silicone oil in so as to avoid loosing my temper and thwacking the crap out of it cus the screws are jammed in ?
    Drill it close to the centre as possible to avoid unbalancing the fan of course.... or do i go for it and report my *failings/joyous celebrations for all to *laugh/applaud...? (*delete as appropriate)

Paul1566
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Don't think drilling a hole it it would be a good idea. Firstly you would probably end up with aluminium swarf inside the oil chamber (not really a good idea) but also to ensure that it kept the oil in you would need to tap a thread into the casing so as to insert a machine screw to seal in the oil (cue more swarf inside the oil chamber).

Cracking the casing itself isn't that much of a problem. Just follow the service guide on here (somewhere - I did have a link but can't find it at the moment) and it should then work fine.
    Mike G

Comment

when parting the casing ensure you have a new screwdriver bit and make sure it is the right type and a tight fit (not mixing phillips and crosshead) before trying to undo give the driver a sharp clout I found that loosened the screws enough to come out easy, the o ring on mine was a bit stretched but a touch of silicone sealer held most of it in place then just before tightening it all up I was able to tuck it in!
      A bit fiddley but easy enough, I think I posted the part numbers for the silicone fluid on here - perhaps use of the search button will turn up trumps!
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
        Ok I've read every post on here about fans and just wondered like you do when your at work playing with micro scalextric .........would it be possible to drill and tap a small hole in the fan hub and inject the silicone oil in so as to avoid loosing my temper and thwacking the crap out of it cus the screws are jammed in ?
        Drill it close to the centre as possible to avoid unbalancing the fan of course.... or do i go for it and report my *failings/joyous celebrations for all to *laugh/applaud...? (*delete as appropriate)

Paul1566

Have had your hair cut?

Comment

Viscous Fan

Hey how do you know i had me hair cut ????
          Can't go wrong with a set of Nicky Clarke shears set to no.1......

Yeah realize the swarf issue but after searching the site and reading all the posts and looking at all the pictures it ain't no Swiss watch in there so tiny tiny bits of swarf will just centrifuge to the outside and stay out the way...
          If i do get the screws out first time without the aid of a kango i may drill and tap a nice pair of holes in case of failure again , pair i say yes a pair one to let the oil in and one to let the air out.....but wait surely there is already a way for the air to get out cus the chuffin fluid out went that way....bum think before you type boy....... now back to scalextric.........vroom vroom crash !#

Anyone know the viscosity of the silicone oil ....... i used to use it for applying sleeving years ago and it was not as expensive as Toyota charge.

Comment

Impact drivers are cheap.

Nev

Comment

Swarf can cause problems. There are sliding plates in there.

Unless you have a wrist like a pufters, you should be able to get those screws out rather easily using Fatfires advice, or do as Nev says and get an impact driver.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Swarf can cause problems. There are sliding plates in there.

Unless you have a wrist like a pufters, you should be able to get those screws out rather easily using Fatfires advice, or do as Nev says and get an impact driver.

Or, since you're not that far away, you could borrow mine, as it worked quite well when I did my fan service.

Brooklyn Toyota in Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham, can supply the correct oil for the fan, as that's where I got mine. They had to order it in but it only took a couple of days to arrive (although it will take a bit longer this time of year). If I can find it, I have the part number somewhere, either on my computer at home or on the invoice which I should still have filed somewhere at home. Will try to remember to look for it when I get home tonight.
                Mike G

Comment

Viscount Biscuit

Cheers for the offer Tallyman but i got me own shiny one to grasp and hit.....
                  Impact driver that is....
                  Had a walk down town to cheltenham hobbies to see if they had any oil, only had 450cst and when i asked about other grades he just grunted and went back to playing with his ewok....... Thought ah what about bike shop for their forks or shocks, no luck so came back to work for a game of unreal tournament.......
                  Got the part number 08816-03001 for toyota...
                  Gunna give them a call and order some.....

Paul1566

Comment

Before you start, read this thread on the Australian site (completely). The part numbers for silicone are on here somewhere. Get the 10,000 Cst stuff if you can:
                    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ht=viscous+fan

Comment

Viscous fan

Well got it apart, quite easy really, dry as a bone inside.
                      Ordered me oil and just waiting for the call to say its in.
                      Just need to check the forum again to see which side and exactly how much to put in.
                      Going to make some egr blanking plates later.......nice grinding noises to please the neighbours ha ha
                      Found that the bonnet bolts where loose as well....who ever did the head on this truck forgot to tighten all the beedin bolts so going to check all i can.

Paul1566

Comment

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
                        Just need to check the forum again to see which side and exactly how much to put in.
                        The bottom/rear part of the unit is one part. There's no specific place to put it in, other than the bottom/rear part in general. It'll sort itself from there once it's reassembled and back in place.

Comment

Put in about 2.7, 18 ml bottles. I put in the whole 3 bottles (54 ml) around 12 months ago and mine works fine.

Comment

heres a pick of of when i did mine, from what i remember toyota oil was cheap ish
                            Last edited by mud skipper; 12 March 2009, 00:12.
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                            X