Towing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing help

To all you helpful people out there who regularly tow a caravan of trailer with a Surf, a couple of questions from a new Surf owner:

1) Do you increase the tyre pressures on the rear when towing and if so to what pressure? I've currently got Yokohama Geolandar H/T's fitted to mag alloy wheels running at 30 psi all round.

2) Are these tyres pure road tyres or all terrain?

3) I've had a Witter towbar fitted to the Surf. Any idea what the noseweight limit is for a Surf? I've seen a suggestion of 75kg but that's what my Volvo had. Surely a Surf is more.

4) My oil pressure guage needle seems to sit at the low end of the scale as soon as the engine is warmed up. Is this normal, as I don't want to take the van away this weekend and have any engine problems.

5) Last for now, the car came with a pair of alloy Toyota roof bars fitted with what I think are ski brackets. Anybody want them (free), as I'm getting a new set of feet for my Thule bars as I need something I can safely carry bikes on and the Toyota bars are way to flimsy for that and too wide for my bike carrier u-bolts anyway? I'm in Cheltenham.

Thanks for a great site. I've had answers already to most of my queries just by reading old threads.

Mike G 1993 SSR-X 3.0L TD, Dark Green.
    Trekkies of the world unite!
    Mike G

Originally posted by Tallyman
    To all you helpful people out there who regularly tow a caravan of trailer with a Surf, a couple of questions from a new Surf owner:

1) Do you increase the tyre pressures on the rear when towing and if so to what pressure? I've currently got Yokohama Geolandar H/T's fitted to mag alloy wheels running at 30 psi all round.
    i run at 32 psi as normal no increase

3) I've had a Witter towbar fitted to the Surf. Any idea what the noseweight limit is for a Surf? I've seen a suggestion of 75kg but that's what my Volvo had. Surely a Surf is more.
    The nose weight can be different on towball & towbar specs distribute the weight thruout the caravan
    4) My oil pressure guage needle seems to sit at the low end of the scale as soon as the engine is warmed up. Is this normal, as I don't want to take the van away this weekend and have any engine problems.
    on tickover yes. when running around 1/2 way5) Last for now, the car came with a pair of alloy Toyota roof bars fitted with what I think are ski brackets. Anybody want them (free), as I'm getting a new set of feet for my Thule bars as I need something I can safely carry bikes on and the Toyota bars are way to flimsy for that and too wide for my bike carrier u-bolts anyway? I'm in Cheltenham.

Thanks for a great site. I've had answers already to most of my queries just by reading old threads.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman

I run my A/T's at 32psi and leave them at that when towing...

Yep - H/T means Highway Terrain. Check here for more info

Not sure - been trying to find out - I'd go for same as land cruiser Colarado if I had to guess

Have a look here

5) Last for now, the car came with a pair of alloy Toyota roof bars fitted with what I think are ski brackets. Anybody want them (free), as I'm getting a new set of feet for my Thule bars as I need something I can safely carry bikes on and the Toyota bars are way to flimsy for that and too wide for my bike carrier u-bolts anyway? I'm in Cheltenham.
      No thanks!!

Awh - shucks... we're just guys...

Last edited by Linda; 25 April 2004, 21:49.
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

if you have an awning or any other heavy item put it over the axle. you can buy noseweight guages for caravans. have your suspension set to hard when towing as well it helps reduced rear end sag
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Towing help

Linda / Marky,

Thank you for the information. You've set my mind at rest about the oil pressure and tyres. I've been towing caravans for years, so I'm OK on that side; it's just that usually I've had a detailed handbook or manual for all my previous cars so I always knew the limitations etc. Unfortunately that's not true with the Surf but we'll get there in the end with the help of the people on this site.

Regards

Mike G.
          Mike G

Comment

Hi
            I am in Cheltenham as well. If you want to compare anything on your surf with any on mine email me I have 2.4 ssrx

Comment

Towing help

Hi Hal,

Will do as soon as I get a bit more sorted. Where abouts are you. I'm in Arle.

Mike G
              Mike G

Comment

Working...
              X