balljoints and uj's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balljoints and uj's

had my 3.0 ssrx few months now, getin thru the jobs to do list, but aint got manual yet, so..

1. greased my uj's, but there appears to be more points on the card in the sunvisor than are actually present? seems to be half way along the prop?

2. also greased balljoints. well, top ones anyway, as the bottom ones appear to be nipple free?

thanks for all the help, eh, but my workshop manual's turned up to sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by blakarm View Post
      thanks for all the help, eh, but my workshop manual's turned up to sort it.
      There is tons of info on those subjects available on here via the search function. All you had to do was search.

Comment

it dont matter what i put in the search bar, it just comes up 'no matches found'.

Comment

it dont matter what i put in the search bar, it just comes up 'no matches found'.
          Seems to be working fine here. Anyhows, to cut to the chase, on the U.J's, if you can see a nipple, pump grease into it. If there is a mismatch with your visor diagram, I'd say you have the wrong card, i.e: 2nd gen card for the 3rd gen or vice versa.

On the balljoints, if there's no nipple, look for a rather slim headed 10mm blanking bolt. If they are there, you put a M6 grease nipple in place of to grease the balljoint. If there is neither nipple or blanking bolt, they are sealed joints which can't be greased.

Comment

good stuff. still feeling my way round with everything.
            got 30 years experience of off roading, been a mechanic, and engineer. trouble is, its all bike related.
            picking it all up easily, but things like some ball joints not having grease nipples cos they're sealed is something im not gona know till somebody points it out, yea?

Comment

but things like some ball joints not having grease nipples cos they're sealed is something im not gona know till somebody points it out, yea?
              Personally, I'd say not. I would say it's basic deduction. It's akin to asking if some parts which are welded together can be unbolted from each other. However, on that note, I do often get accused of having a thought process which doesn't follow the general norm.

With the sealed stuff, it's down to the manufacturer as much as anything, if I remember correctly. You can get either type if you have a preference.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Personally, I'd say not. I would say it's basic deduction.
                after a liberal dose of degreasant, a good wire brushing, and thorough inspection with lamp to find this bolt you mentioned earlier, (or lack of), then i would be inclined to concur in having deduced i had found a possible greasing point. (or not).
                as is, i had been under said vehicle for some time, melting slush and all, finishing the jobs previously mentioned, and as i could move my fingers no longer due to the intense cold, decided it would be much easier to retreat to the warmth of the house, make a brew, and just ASK somebody, before i went digging, so to speak?
                after all, thats is in part what this forum is all about, yes?
                Last edited by blakarm; 12 December 2008, 03:21.

Comment

and just ASK somebody, before i went digging, so to speak?
                  after all, thats is in part what this forum is all about, yes?
                  Absolutely. Far better to be prepped with the basic info before starting the job, if possible.

Comment

Working...
                  X