No announcement yet.

Diffs, ratios and bigger tyres info....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffs, ratios and bigger tyres info....

Maybe of some use to people with huge tyres.....
    http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=274535

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=186404

Looks like my 5.29's are a tad over powered...

Hope thats not a bad thing...

I didnt realise you had to go t'other way to gain mpg..

I hope mine doesn't get much worse. Im already in Dodge mpg figures an with a dodge being petrol...

I'd hate to see the credit crunch force me to sell up for a big yank tank

Comment

For street use I'd say yours will be as it was as stock.

Have you not fitted them yet then??

Comment

I changed to 4-88 gears running 33's and powered by a 2.8 diesel and it works great, 65 MPH in fifth gear at 2800 revs...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          For street use I'd say yours will be as it was as stock.

Have you not fitted them yet then??
          no.

The press needed rebuilting...

Which meant the Mighty midget mobile welder needed rebuilding...

which meant anything that needed welding up got welded up...

The press has just been painted (i think) So once i find that strange yellow marker paint stuff... Im ready to roll!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
            I hope mine doesn't get much worse. Im already in Dodge mpg figures an with a dodge being petrol...
            :
            Ooooh I'm sure I remember you saying it hadn't made much difference some time back...

I think, just from gut instinct, that you need gearing that gives you same revs / speed ratio, and similar gearshift points as stock for anything like similar mpg. It will ALWAYS be a fair bit worse because you are trying to rotate much more mass, considerably further from the plane of rotation.

Look at it this way, it'll get you used to 10mpg for when you get a yank tank
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Ooooh I'm sure I remember you saying it hadn't made much difference some time back...

I think, just from gut instinct, that you need gearing that gives you same revs / speed ratio, and similar gearshift points as stock for anything like similar mpg. It will ALWAYS be a fair bit worse because you are trying to rotate much more mass, considerably further from the plane of rotation.

Look at it this way, it'll get you used to 10mpg for when you get a yank tank
              Well, Truck was on about 20odd mpg. Down to around 15-17mpg. Which is what a 96-01 dodge ram is listed at being.

Its a small decrease which i never really noticed till later. At first, losing a couple didn't seem that bad.. but its only after several fill ups that i've taken note - Its not bad enough that i want to lose the 35's.

Fuel economy isn't going to leap up when its regeared. Im hoping for either no change or a small decrease in fuel consumption. If it goes the other way i'll be pi$$ed!

Comment

Simple solution. Start up a beautiful relationship with your local chippie and it will all become rather academic

Comment

Ive never really given much thought into using veg.

At the time i was interested buying SVO just became pointless.

Seems more so now. Dont have the um... inclanation! (thats a better way of saying cant be arsed ) to sort out filtering WVO.

If my truck comes back monday with a clean bill of health then i might treat it to going a big bigger in the new year..

An if i do that then i might hassle vince to put a V8 in it..

Just ideas at the moment.. Cant let stormforce have all the fun

Comment

No hassle for me fella.

I keep thinking about Lexus V8ing a Morris Minor lately.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      No hassle for me fella.

I keep thinking about Lexus V8ing a Morris Minor lately.
                      your a legend!

Comment

Working...
                      X