Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen brakes

OK, I'm stuck.....

We took Nina's truck to Avon Dassett a few months back, got it good and dirty, smashed the fog light off - you know, usualy Christening stuff....anyway, since then, the brakes have been very poor.

The brake warning light would come on when accelerating, and now it's on the whole time. I've checked the front pads, OK, rear shoes, OK, checked the fluid levels, OK, checked the ABS sensors and cleaned them up, jet washed underneath to clean up the handbrake bits and cleaned the rear brakes.

If I pump the brake pedal I get good pressure, but if I just put my foot on the brakes the pedal goes almost to the floor.

In my current physical state I can't spend too much time crawling about under it, but need to find the problem and fix it asap, so any help in diagnoses would really help.

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

The brakes need bleeding, are you sure fluid levels etc are ok. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
      The brakes need bleeding, are you sure fluid levels etc are ok. H
      I've bled the front, but can't get to the back at the mo - and need Nina there to press the pedal....fluid level is fine, I've been checking it a lot. I would have expected to see it right down, but it's full...

What does the brake warning light actually mean on the 3rd gen?
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        I've bled the front, but can't get to the back at the mo - and need Nina there to press the pedal....fluid level is fine, I've been checking it a lot. I would have expected to see it right down, but it's full...

What does the brake warning light actually mean on the 3rd gen?
        It's nothing to do with the fluid. Take off the drums (rear) clean all mud and cack out of brakes, if you can, remove the adjuster, clean that and copper grease the internal thread, make sure you adjust the adjuster to suit and refit. Pull the handbrake a few times and this will allow it to readjust itself. Have fun!!
        Last edited by Antshiel; 12 November 2008, 12:26.
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Hey mine does the same after every site visit, I currently have zero handbrake!

Must learn how to take the rears apart.
          Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
            It's nothing to do with the fluid. Take off the drums (rear) clean all mud and cack out of brakes, if you can, remove the adjuster, clean that and copper grease the internal thread, make sure you adjust the adjuster to suit and refit. Pull the handbrake a few times and this will allow it to readjust itself. Have fun!!
            What he says ...
            After every playtime I remove the drums, clean em up n re-adjust !!!

There's always a Payback .... Don't expect a warning tho !!!!
            Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 12 November 2008, 18:03.
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
            X