Hilux Surf handling issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Surf handling issues

I have a question for other Surf owners regarding a handling issue on mine.
    Got mine 2 weeks ago and its the 3 litre version N reg, approx 9 years old.
    When I test drove it I noticed a bit of wheel wobble when breaking hard. On questioning the sales guy said it might be wheel balance which will be sorted before I buy it. When I picked it up the same guy said it had been sorted and it did seem fine but since then I have done a lot more driving and found the wobble under hard breaking is still there. I've also noticed that on some road surfaces my Surf shakes its head a bit as if the tyres are searching for grip.
    I have to say I am totally new to 4x4 cars as I've spent most of my driving life in hot hatch's, my last one being a Clio 172 (big change eh?). So basically is what I described typical and expected or should I be taking the car back to be fixed? (bearing in mind it is a 9 year old car with just under 50K on the clock)
    Could I have warped discs or are my tyres ill suited to the road (BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's with plenty of tread left).? Or could this be a tracking issue as there is a very slight pull to left.?
    Like I said I've been spoiled by years of go-kart handling cars so hopefully someone can put my mind at ease with the new love of my life, 4X4 Surf's.

Thanks in advance. Mike

Originally posted by Centaur25
    I have a question for other Surf owners regarding a handling issue on mine.
    Got mine 2 weeks ago and its the 3 litre version N reg, approx 9 years old.
    When I test drove it I noticed a bit of wheel wobble when breaking hard. On questioning the sales guy said it might be wheel balance which will be sorted before I buy it. When I picked it up the same guy said it had been sorted and it did seem fine but since then I have done a lot more driving and found the wobble under hard breaking is still there. I've also noticed that on some road surfaces my Surf shakes its head a bit as if the tyres are searching for grip.
    I have to say I am totally new to 4x4 cars as I've spent most of my driving life in hot hatch's, my last one being a Clio 172 (big change eh?). So basically is what I described typical and expected or should I be taking the car back to be fixed? (bearing in mind it is a 9 year old car with just under 50K on the clock)
    Could I have warped discs or are my tyres ill suited to the road (BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's with plenty of tread left).? Or could this be a tracking issue as there is a very slight pull to left.?
    Like I said I've been spoiled by years of go-kart handling cars so hopefully someone can put my mind at ease with the new love of my life, 4X4 Surf's.

Thanks in advance. Mike
    something is not right, needs checking over, possible wheel bearing, bushes etc,
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
      something is not right, needs checking over, possible wheel bearing, bushes etc,
      As Ian says, something does need checking. For a big 4x4 the Surf actually handles very well when sorted. Wheel wobble when braking sounds like warped disks (something that is quite common as the Surf has to work quite hard when stopping as it is heavy), pull to the left could be tracking or steering idler bushes / track rod ends if it is a 2nd gen or track rod ends if it is a 3rd gen (rack and pinion rather than recirculating ball type steering).

You may also have a tyre slightly out of true if it has been standing for a while, a big truck like the surf can flat spot tyres if it stands in the same place too long.

BFG ATs are good tyres and should give you plenty of grip plus a pretty quiet ride as well.

Cheers

Comment

it does sound like warped disc/discs, not too expensive to replace, about £26 from milners i think.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Many thanks guys for the advice, so glad I found this site I can see it will be very handy.
          I spose its not really good news about my Surf then, but I will get the things you all mentioned checked out asap. If nothing else at least it can be sorted and its not just a characteristic of Surfs.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Centaur25
            I've also noticed that on some road surfaces my Surf shakes its head a bit as if the tyres are searching for grip.
            You've not got it in 4x4 on the road have you? Makes weird things happen.

Generally, wobbles under braking are warped discs, wobbles generally are wheel balence, wheel bearings loose (improves with the brakes on) or steering system issues.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Check the tyre pressures too. My BFG's shake the head a bit when they are low 33psi is the general consensus.

Rich.
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
              X