Heater matrix removal KZN130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater matrix removal KZN130

There is an alternative to removing the entire dash to extract the heater matrix. (Thanks, Niftynev for the heads-up). Start at the passenger side and remove the glove-box, blower, aircon box, middle dash sections. Remove the steel dash supports each side of the radio. Remove the radio and 4wd control box. This gives access to the back of the heater box. Remove everything attached to the heater box including a secondary rear-mounted plastic box which leads up to the windscreen ducts. Be careful with the control mechanism which is next to the drivers footrest. Slide the heater box towards the rear of the vehicle slightly and then it will enable you to wriggle it out towards the passenger footwell. I had the rad. re-cored for £75 and re-sealed all the flaps and joins on the plastic boxes with 12x6mm neoprene tape. Everything went back in reverse without any problems. The trickiest part was replacing the control mechanism as I didn`t mark the positions so I had to work it out! This was hard due to limited access for 2 hands!

What was removed? Footwell fascias, glove-box, lower dash, centre dash, blower box, air-con box, steel supports, 4wd control box, radio.
    What stayed in place? Steering wheel/column, handbrake, upper dash, clocks etc.
    Please note this is a 1993 3 litre surf and the 2.4 models may require complete dash removal.
    cheers,
    chris