Brake problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problem

have noticed as of the past few weeks that my brakes have become quiet inefficent, the pads are about 6 months old and i have not checked the shoes.
    I held presure on the brake pedal when starting to see if the servo was working and it seemed ok
    but tonight when i was sitting parked with engine running i applied heavypresure on the brakes and it felt like it was sinking away tried pumping them to see if it was just air, but felt no different. so does any of this sound like the master cylinder and if so can you get repair kits for them ?

thanks

How old is the fluid? If it's never been changed then it could have moisture in it.

Comment

To check the servo you need to empty the vacuum system. Switch the engine off, pump the brake pedal a few times until it goes hard, keep your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal should drop.

Are you a mechanic?

If not, find one and get them to fix your brakes, don't mess with them yourself unless you're trained to do so.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

doubt if it has been changed, prior to me owning the vehicle i have no other history about it and cant tell if its been done or not

Comment

Originally posted by evil_jesus View Post
          doubt if it has been changed, prior to me owning the vehicle i have no other history about it and cant tell if its been done or not
          sounds like it needs re-newing then. It makes a big difference to the pedal feel with new fluid.

Comment

cheers...im off to get fluid and easy bleed kit as dont have another person or a long enough leg
            ps.... what size are the bleed nipples ??

Comment

I know how you feel now Vince, I've just been spectacularly ignored...

Comment

sorry.....it does look like that, but you haven't...... all advice from everyone is greatfully accepted and taken on board.
                If i had the money it would be straight in a garage tomorrow morn, but i haven't and i need to learn to do these things myself as well.
                Last edited by evil_jesus; 2 November 2008, 16:06.

Comment

just noticed.....when i pump the pedal i hear a air sound thats like if you were pumping a foot pump but with nothing attached.....i you know what i mean

Comment

screams master cylinder to me

Comment

when i pump the pedal about 5/6 times the hissing stops and with the pedal still pressed i start engine and pedal drops away

Comment

Originally posted by evil_jesus View Post
                        when i pump the pedal about 5/6 times the hissing stops and with the pedal still pressed i start engine and pedal drops away
                        That's what it's supposed to do. The hissing noise is the Servo drawing a vacuum, the hissing stops when it can't draw any more.

The pedal drops a bit when the servo starts working again.

Comment

Working...
                        X