Changing rear diff / axel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear diff / axel

Please help, I am currently looking at investing in my first Surf and was thinking of taking on a bit of a project. I was looking at buying a 3lt turbo diesel Gen 2 truck and have found one that is described as having rear axel trouble which I assume to be a diff problem. Anyone got any ideas how long it would take to change the rear axel and what sort of price a second hand axel or diff would go for.
    Thanks
    You can live in a car....but you can't drive a house!!

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
    Please help, I am currently looking at investing in my first Surf and was thinking of taking on a bit of a project. I was looking at buying a 3lt turbo diesel Gen 2 truck and have found one that is described as having rear axel trouble which I assume to be a diff problem. Anyone got any ideas how long it would take to change the rear axel and what sort of price a second hand axel or diff would go for.
    Thanks
    If all unbolts with ease and you know wot you are doing , I would estimate a day .
    You need to know which diff is in there as there are several available . I have one for sale and I see you are not far from me.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.....got a couple more questions now though!!! If the diff / axel did turn out to be the right one how much would you want for it? and any idea what a 1993 3L SSRX, 132K miles with rear axel problems is worth?

Comment

Thanks for the advice.....got a couple more questions now though!!! If the diff / axel did turn out to be the right one how much would you want for it? and any idea what a 1993 3L SSRX, 132K miles with rear axel problems is worth?
        not a lot! hey coming to your town on thursday!
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Offer wot you feel its worth . All depends how long its been since driven and how long an MOT is left on it. If it has not been driven for a while you could argue that it needs a service and may have seized brakes etc.
          As for axel price , wait till you have found out the axel code to see if one is available from me or one of the other members breaking Surfs . You dont want to buy a broken vehicle with a rare ratio that will have to be bought from a dealer.
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

This is the link to the surf with the axel trouble on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220286064997
            anyones thoughts on what this vehicle is worth would be great. Thanks

Comment

You'll pick up a complete running axle for around £150ish. Will take about 2 -3 hrs to swap. I've done 2 to date. Make sure you get one with the same numbers on it cos you don't want different ratios front and back when you select 4wd. Not a problem if you never intend to use 4wd.
              http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

might just be the rear UJ on prop making noises, I would go and see it first, but as has been said it's pretty easy and cheap to fix.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Please help, cant seem to post a new thread??

Have been trying to post a new thread but it keeps failing any ideas why, and also need help with what truck to buy.

Am looking to buy a Surf soon but....... dont know which model to get, a Gen 2 or 3 truck. Looking to use on road mainly with a little fun off road too. Are there any advantages / disadvantages to the Gen 2 / 3. Would quite like to lift the truck a few inches, is this earier on one perticular model?
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X