popin out of 1st???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popin out of 1st???

When I am in traffic just on tickover crawl my car pops out of 1st unnoticed if I just place my finger on the gear lever it is ok, the same happens if I am at a junction and need to pull away fast it jumps out a lot more feircely, although again if i just place my finger on the gear lever it stays in place , I am hoping it is not an internal gearbox problem!! any advice??????

Originally posted by wadey6
    When I am in traffic just on tickover crawl my car pops out of 1st unnoticed if I just place my finger on the gear lever it is ok, the same happens if I am at a junction and need to pull away fast it jumps out a lot more feircely, although again if i just place my finger on the gear lever it stays in place , I am hoping it is not an internal gearbox problem!! any advice??????
    sounds as if 1st gear selector worn, internal gearbox maintenance needed
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

before you get to depressed about gearbox rebuild prices, its worth checking the bushes the gear lever sits in on top of the gearbox, if its worn, the lever won't select gear properly, and it jumps out, thats why holding it in works.

£5 fix instead of £500!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

poping out

Hi TonyN where can l get the bushes from are they main agent or Milners.

Regards "Hilux" Bob
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

My 2nd gen was 95% cured of this when I did the bushing last year. The Toyota part no. was 33548-31010. Cost me £2.15 sterling.

Comment

Bob, see Jim's post, I knew I'd mentioed it before, and it was cheaper than I remembered! hehe.

If £2.50 is to much, you can probably get them from Milners

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just ripped the dang thing out to show y'all (not)

(tanx again to tony for his ex's frame no. (no smart comments ) coz I was able to then bypass the oh its an import dazzle)
              Last edited by JimL; 20 April 2004, 19:11.

Comment

cool

excellent feedback guys cheers an i'll keep my fingers crossed on the bush being the problem, is it accesible in situ??

Comment

you gotta get in at the gearstick itself and that involves:

unbolting and sliding back a little the oddments box which your left elbow rests on (I know that in some surfs and maybe runners there is a unit in here which controls the rear heating but in mine...theres none), its 4 x 10mm bolts, 2 screws to undo and then slide it back an inch or two, then unscrew the gearstick nob and take the screw from the side of the 4wd nob (the 4wd nob stays with the leatherette cover unlike the gearstick nob which unscrews off) then undo the screws hold the plastic surround on the gearstick console. You can now lift that surround off and the leatherette cover will come with it, underneath this you'll need to disconnect the connector for the 4wd lever. With that off you now have the heavy rubber boots on both sticks that are firmly mounted on the sticks. Take off the steel plate (4 screws) and then peel off the boots from the transmission tunnel. You wont be able to pull the boots off the sticks and theres nothing to be gained by trying, just pull them up as far as you can. Underneath the boots you see the top of the gearbox where the shifter stick boltsx4 in to the box, unbolt it, pull it out, tease the bushing off and stick the other one on.

I make it sound like a timing belt change but its more like changing a wheel!

Comment

Working...
                  X