Greetings... 1kz-te questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings... 1kz-te questions

Hello. I've embarked on a mission to convert my 92 xtra-cab 4x4 from a 3vze to a 1kzte. I managed to locate and purchase a 94 5-speed Surf half-cut w/ fairly low miles (123k kilometers).

I've been checking out the vehicle and have run it a few times to assess it's health. I've found a couple of things that are bothering me and I'm seeking guidance.

First issue is a nasty idle miss that comes on as the vehicle warms up. When first started, the miss is not present. After a couple of minutes, it starts to miss badly on random cylinders and belch gray smoke. First thing I looked for and confirmed is air in the fuel lines. The fuel filter assembly (hand pump I think) leaks air. I eliminated this leak by dunking the filter in a bucket of diesel while the engine was running. Even with no air in the fuel, though, I still get the miss. After the engine is fully warmed up, the miss goes away. I'm puzzled as to what's causing this.

Second issue is crankcase pressure. I took the oil fill cap off and noticed a lot of pressure escaping. I checked the breather on the valve cover and it's clear. Interestingly, the pressure does not seem as impressive coming out of the breather as it does from the oil fill orifice. I connected a heater hose directly to the breather and plugged where it normally routes to the intake down near the turbo, so it's just venting to atmosphere. I did a compression test and all cylinders are fairly even at around 380 PSI. (Note that I ran the test a 9000' elevation). So I don't think I have a compression problem, but something is definitely pressurizing my crankcase.

Any ideas on either or both of this issues is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -john
Working...
X