3rd Gen ride on stock shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen ride on stock shocks

I currently have Bilstein gas shocks fitted to my 3rd Gen. The Bilsteins are a great damper for road holding & corners (on good roads) but with the condition of british roads they are very harsh over pot holes etc. & you get a lot of feed back through the steering wheel when hitting pot holes.

I want to keep the vehicle at standard height & I have already fitted new Genuine Toyota coil springs, & I am thinking of replacing the Bilsteins with Genuine Toyota dampers.

Are there any 3rd Gen owners running on stock dampers & standard height?

How does the vehicle feel on pot holed roads?

What I don't want to do is change the dampers to find that there is no or little difference.

Many Thanks

Regards

Lewis

mornin m8

I used to run my 3rd gen on standard toyota shocks, last year MOT man advised me that one of the fromt (nearside) and one of the rear (offside) were weeping slightly and would need changing before next year.

As I have the adjustable ones i went to local Toyota dealer - £154.00 each + VAT. For all 4 that would work out at £723

After some digging, mostly on this one as well as other forums, I decided to go with the non-adjustable, standard length ones from Roughtrax/Milners

To be honest, theyv'e been on now for about 8 months and the ride is so much better than before. No banging & crashing over potholes, work well on motorways & towing the caravan as well as good offroad.

Couldn't be happier and total cost of less then £200 for the 4 did it for me

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Cant really see the Bilsteins being significantly firmer than the Toyota ones, unless they're some sort of race shock.

What pressure do you run in your tyres? Try reducing it?

Also, if the steering wheel is wobbling when you hit bumps, maybe the steering damper is shot?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
        mornin m8

As I have the adjustable ones i went to local Toyota dealer - £154.00 each + VAT. For all 4 that would work out at £723
        Cheers for your post.

My dampers are the non adjustable types & for all four they are only £250 + vat for genuine which I thought was good.

The adjustables are really expensive, I would have done the same & changed to non-adjustables.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Cant really see the Bilsteins being significantly firmer than the Toyota ones, unless they're some sort of race shock.

What pressure do you run in your tyres? Try reducing it?

Also, if the steering wheel is wobbling when you hit bumps, maybe the steering damper is shot?
          Thanks for your post Apache.

3rd Gens don't have steering dampers as they have a steering rack.

I run my tyres at 30psi alround? Thats about right I think?

The steering wheel doesn't really wobble as such (like when you have worped discs), you just sort of get feed back, & it likes to tram line. It's totally fine if you have a nice road even speed bumps.....but uneven roads or pot holes you get this feed back........maybe it's a 3rd Gen think????? & I have to live with it?

When I had a Land Cruiser, this had a steering box & steering damper & it was much smoother.

Comment

What tyres have you got?

Some wide tyres do tend to wander around a bit where the road is worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              What tyres have you got?

Some wide tyres do tend to wander around a bit where the road is worn.

I have these fitted.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=560&vid=861

Comment

They're a road tyre so the ride is probably as good as its going to get.

Comment

After some searching on the forum, it seems there are some other 3rd Gen owners with the same complaint.

Maybe it's a 3rd gen thing?

Comment

Working...
                  X