Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual to auto swap

Hello,

Just wanted to show you how we're working in the manual to auto swap.

Why auto? Because as my truck is not EFI I need a standalone computer to control the tranny, so I can configure it to my taste.

I'm going to use a SupraStick computer to control the tranny, being able to choose between two automatic modes and a full manual mode with overrev protection.

As I've a Momo steering wheel I'm going to buy a thing like this to have shift controls in the steering wheel:

Also I can put a simple 16x4 display and monitor the speed, the RPM, the TPS and gear engaged.

This is an A343F auto tranny out from a 3.0TD Hilux Surf. Also got the TC, flywheel, bellhousing and shifter, got it from Richard (stormforce) thanks!!!

The A343F it's almost identical to the A340F, I think the only difference is some gear ratio.
    Nice thing of being a "F" series is that the tranny isn't a part of the tranny like in the A340H's found in the States' 4Runners. This means it has a standard V6 pattern so I can put my chain driven T-Case or put duals in a future.

Have you seen the fancy customized short sleeve coveralls my friend has?

The T-Case it's almost identical to the chain driven ones on the R150F manual trucks, but we're going to use mine instead of this because this is an electric actuated one and the motor would interfer with my parking disc brake. Also less electrics, less problems. Nice thing of those electric transfers is that you can have a "dual shifter" with only a switch.

This is the shifter linkage

T-Case actuator. Only has one rail for controlling the ratio.

Bellhousing

Parts we are not using. The throttle cable and cooler tubes. I'll use a big cooler in front of the radiator and will be blocking the throttle cable in WOT position to have the tranny pressure always high. Will make a little noise when idling and will require a bit more brake pedal in the red lights but will make quickier shifts (Cooler ATF, more reliable tranny).

T-Case and tranny coupling

The electric tranny we're discarting

Pulling the tranny pan you find the filter

Pulling the filter you can see the valve body and the solenoids. Two for the shifts and one for the TC lock-up.

Lots of bolts!

This is the valve controlling the tranny pressure IIRC.

Those are the shifting accumulators. From left to right the 1-2, the 2-3 and the 3-O/D.

In the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators we're going to do a mod the Supra guys developed. It consists of shimming the little springs so more pressure is achieved. This makes the shifting quickier and harder. The Supra guys had excelent results with this mod and they've engines developing +450HP...

Here is where the shim goes

This accumulator will remain stock as the shifts you want quicker and more used are the 1-2 and 2-3.

Valve body detail.

This is the shifter rail

Hope you like it.

I'm going to order the tranny cooler and the SupraStick.

David
    '94 4Runner 3.0TD - SAS'ed on 35's

Ah, Richard, the tranny looks it is in excelent condition, only a bit dirty so no problem

David

Comment

Cheers Dave.Glad it was all ok for you.I did get most of the dirt off of it so i could try to find the numbers you wanted from it but never had time to give it a decent clean before sending.The main thing is everything is ok with it and the dirt can be cleaned off again
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

How much was the gearbox controller? I had thought about modifying the original one to give me the option of holding torque converter lock-up to lower speeds but have been able to find very little info on the original controller.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

It's 350$ and with the dollar being so low I payed 252€ for it shipped

There's another one wich has tons of inputs and outputs but it's 750$. It's the one from Powertrain Control Solutions.

David

Comment

Good work, nice info.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i am liking your work there blizzard,like tony said good info,keep us updated very interesting little project.i would like to see how it all turned out in the end and wether it worked out ok.wil be keeping an eye on this thread.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hello, time for an update!

This is the SupraStick as we received it from Latent Solutions:

Seal and gasket kit for the A343F

Universal TPS from Powertrain Control Solutions

Taking off the drive shafts

T-Case parking brake

The R-150F goes to the ground

Clutch showing up

I really want to see how is the clutch disc after 14 years and 199000mi...

We ordered the rear main seal and later we saw it was needed hehehe

This is the manual flywheel (Is this one of those that are dual-mass?)

And my beloved stock clutch... 14 years of use arround all Europe a Morocco and 199k miles and still the same that the factory put in my 4Runner. It's still at 3/4 life.

The rear main seal that leaked

This weekend I'm travelling where my truck is for two weeks so I'll have more updates.

David

David

Comment

excellent write up, keep up the good work.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Looking forward to the next series of pics and info, cheers.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Here you have them hehe

The mechanical T-Case that came with my manual R150F bolts with no problems to the A343F tranny.

No problems either with the two rods that came from the T-Case, one for the traction and another for the ratio. The electric T-Case of the A343F only have one for the ratio.

We've only to clean the boxes and shim the accumulators.

Electric T-Case (Left), that came from the A343F and the mechanical T-Case (Right) that came with the R150F.

This coupler has different sizes in each T-Case but it doesn't suppose any problem because the clearance is perfect and it's the same spline count.
                      This is the coupler from the electric T-Case

Coupler interior

Mech T-Case coupler

A343F coupling with the T-Case

Cheers,

David

Comment

Hello,

Today we've cleaned a little the tranny and tomorrow we expect to reassemble it with the new seals and gaskets.

Begin cleaning...

During

Looks like something's missing...

This is one of the shims machined in alu to increase the pressure in the shifting accumulators. They're being installed in the 1-2 accumulator and 2-3 one.

More tomorrow.

Cheers,

David

Comment

Hello,

Time for an update...

Changed all the case seals except for the gears ones. Clutch discs were in excellent condition so no need for rebuilding the whole tranny. That thing in the splines is for the speed sensor of the tranny

Where the T-Case stick bolts

The filter

Valve body

The solenoids. The nearer is for the TC lockup and the other two are for the shifts

Cleaned the oil pan. It has some magnets to collect small metal shavings

Valve body

Cleaned the oil pan joint

Bellhousing

Tranny interior

Accumulators. Ones being shimmed are the right ones

Opened the valve body to change the gaskets. You've to be careful with the metal balls and a small spring

All cleaned and ready to assemble

A bit of paint

Assembly ready to lift

Clanged the rear main seal (The crackshaft one)

Auto flywheel before cleaning

Lifting the tranny

Had to enlarge the floor hole 8cm

Cleaned the T-Case stick

Fabbed a new crossmember to support the tranny

Gusseted supports

Parking brake

Then noticed the front driveshaft would hit, so a plasma touch and a piece of tube solved it

Cut some rigid diesel pipes that interfered with the parking brake disc and swapped with rubber ones

When I started the truck I was very dissapointed, the wheels didn't move. We checked the pressure of the tranny and was 0, so we've to spend 3.5h in taking it off again. Removed the oil pump and found this

I've send the pics to Richard (Stormforce), who sold me the tranny, I'm sure he'll chime in

Luckily that part it's a bit less than 50€ from Toyota and we had it in three days

I replaced the gear, put the tranny up and filled with ATF and voila! It works perfect.

Then begin with the electronics... Fabbed a support for the TPS in the injection pump (My truck it's a 1KZ-T without ECU)

Universal TPS

Mounted it on the firewall behind the intercooler

TPS mounted

Then begin with the osciloscope searching for the RPM signal...

Found it but it was only 0.5V idling and 1.5V accelerating and had quite noise. So we desoldered a condenser and two transistors from an old PC power supply and made a filter/amplifier for the RPM signal

And made testing paddle buttons for sequential modes

Put the truck in the dyno to make it run

As I'm testing no wires are still well situated hahaha

Hope you like it

David

Comment

I didn't expect so much interest...

The truck works amazingly, the SupraStrick is really nice

David

Comment

Awesome write up mate. quality pics too.

I like the idea of the suprastick!!

Comment

Working...
                              X