Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repacking & Servicing Front Wheel Bearings

Hi All,

I just noticed a "squealing" and "whining" noise coming from the front wheels.

I used to put the whining down to the tyres (General Grabber AT2's) but since it has gotten worse I guess it is now the wheel bearings.

I also put Wheel Spacers on about a year ago which probably puts extra stess on the bearings!

Before I shell out large amounts of cash on new bearings I thought I might repack them and service them and see does it sort it!

They haven't been re-greased in about 5 years or so!

I have a few questions!

1. What grease do I use?

2. How much do I need?

3. How will I know from sight etc. if I need NEW bearings!

4 What is the torque setting for the 55mm retaining nut?

Having seen the tech write up on the Aussie forum I am none the wiser, (it is pretty vague! and could have been done better)

Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Is it just a matter of removing the bearings and getting as much grease as I can packed in there?

BTW I have WARN Free Wheeling Hubs.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

Gary
    Last edited by hellmett; 15 July 2008, 14:34.

If they're that noisy, they'll be knackered. They are available from Milners and Roughtrax (RTrax slightly cheaper) for about £30 a side.

The big nut shouldn't be torqued up or you'll fry your bearings. Just tighten it to half a grunt, spin the wheel a few times to seat the bearings, loosen off the nut then re-tighten it just over hand tight. The lock nut will stop it loosening.

You dont need a big expensive socket either (or one of those cheap ones which aren't the right size), a pipe wrench will do the job as they wont be (and shouldn't be) very tight.

As for grease, just to the level of the bearing itself - which is a fair bit! As for grease, a wheel bearing grease, believe it or not :-)

Its an easy job.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Re

Cheers buddy!

I think I will try repacking 1st though!

Might be because they are dry & haven't been done in ages!!

Gary
      Last edited by hellmett; 15 July 2008, 19:24.

Comment

Working...
      X