Mot Fail Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mot Fail Please Help!

Failed on 2 things exhaust smoke, and both suspention upper ball joints have play, said greasing the joints should improve and he will ignore if theres only a little play.

i have read lots about filters i have choice of buy one from roughtrax or get induction type from halfords (opinions please) would be nice to get rid of the huge filter housing.

there has been talk of a screw on the pump to lower fuel in the mix ( which i think it does need ) but i see no screw does anyone have a pic.

i have a Toyota Hilux Surf LN130 2.4cc TD 1993
    Its all fun and games till someone looses an eye!

I'd block off the EGR then put some DIESEL REDEX in the tank then drive it like you've just stolen it. Grease the balljoints as said .
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Try putting some Veg oil in ya tank ..... it's sure to help !!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

EGR has been blocked a couple of months ago,

had a little overheating problem on way back from test place, got an airlock i think i have sorted that,

does anyone have any hints on greasing the ball joints, i assume there is no thing for a grease gun.
        Its all fun and games till someone looses an eye!

Comment

undo bolt ontop of joint , replace with grease nipple , pump in grease
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Don't know about the MOT inspector i question here, but as a last resort if all else fails you could drop him a few quid to accidentally push the probe in the wrong vehicle. Apparently, it happens occasionally. ;-)

Comment

mine just failed on emissions, with egr done the guy doing the mot told me to get this stuff...HERE
              fill fuel filter with it , press idele up and let it run through, put rest in tank then do as marky said, drive it like you stole it, make sure its nice and hot before the retest

Comment

I've always been advised by "those that test" to give the car a damned good thrashing before the M.O.T. I don't tend to drive mine hard in general and so it does tend to clog up I suppose. Having said that, it's yet to fail on emmissions which "may" be due to a good dose of Redex and some sexy revs prior to the test?

Quite how much of the black smoke is unburnt fuel or soot from the exhaust i'm not really sure, but the last M.O.T test it was given, the guy floored the throttle a few times without too much drama. At the moment however, i'm a little cautious in overtaking due to covering the vehicles in my wake with a fallout not too dissimilar to what may have been experienced by the inhabitants of Pompeii, so maybe I should apply my own advice..Lock it down into a low gear and give it some welly for a while.

Roughtrax do a bottle of stuff thats ready to be chucked into the fuel filter if you think that may be worth a try? If the above link led to that, then oops, sorry!

Comment

I used to work in a garage and it was quite common for diesel engines to fail the smoke test. Even had an old lady almost burst into tears when her car failed it's first MOT with only 20,000 miles on the clock as she thought she would need a new engine. What happens is that unless the engie pushes large amounts out of the exhaust then soot builds up inside the exhaust. When the MOT tester revs the engine, the soot blows off the insides of the exhaust and causes it to fail. No matter what you put in the fuel or change on the engine, it will not clean the exhaust. Take it up the motor way in third gear (locked down on an auto) and floor it. You have to take it up to the rev limiter for about 10 - 15 minutes, then go straight to the MOT centre. It will pass every time. You will find the "boy racers" never have a problem with the diesel smoke test, it's always the old lady who never does more than 30 mph, who thinks she is looking after her engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X