'Whirrrrrrrrr' from my 3rd gen rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Whirrrrrrrrr' from my 3rd gen rear axle

Running the risk of getting the pi55 taken out of my description of the noise getting but.....

Only happens when I take my foot off the 'gas' pedal as well.

Am I looking at a rear diff problems down the road???

Cheers for any input,

Ash.
    ash-ssrg

possibly yes, it may be worn, try a really good oil and a molyslip gearbox treatment. Could last years or maybe not. Worth sourcing a spare casually for the eventuality of it stripping gears on you. If it does then you can still get home in 4wd cos youll effectively have a front wheel drive motor
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

guess that holiday to New York is off!!!

Where might one find a replacement LSD diff for a 3rd Gen?? Am almost sure Halfrauds wont stock 'em.

And how long would a half decent spanner monkey take to swop it out?

BTW - rang up every motor factor in Warrington for LSD gear oil - it seems this has officially become extinct!!
      ash-ssrg

Comment

You sure it's not just a knacked UJ? Is the noise definitely from the diff?

I believe Nero got his oil/fluid from the Difflock forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
          I believe Nero got his oil/fluid from the Difflock forum.
          eventually, took 4 or 5 weeks after ordering, they didn't seem to keep it in stock either, and had to wait while it was on back order. ( http://shop.difflock.com/ls90-high-p...ial-p-104.html )

TonyN was stocking it for a bit, not sure if he is at the moment or not though....
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Is this the right type of stuff down near the bottom of the page?

http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.p...ealabc60hf0qn7

Btw, was that the fluid that honked a tad Ian?

Comment

Yep: Comma LSD gear oil at the bottom of the page.

Thats exactly what I picked up this morning from probably the smallest factors in Warrington who didnt have it either but sourced some within 24hrs.

Will drain the old stuff (if theres any in it to begin with), fill with new stuff and keep everything crossed that it settles the diff down.

Had comfirmation from my local mech. that its the diff - probably chipped a tooth and that if I get a 2nd hand repacement I would be looking at about £300 quid labour (Ballpark). Is this reasonable?

ASh.
              ash-ssrg

Comment

update - changed rear diff oil (lsd type) the other day - no difference.
                changed transfer case and front diff oil today - noise almost gone!

but still there - the plot thickens.
                ash-ssrg

Comment

Working...
                X