Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Lift or Not to Lift ?

Gotta do the shocks and springs,

mostly drive on road or in water, salt water.

Would you lift or not ?

Cheers.

Ron.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
    Gotta do the shocks and springs,

mostly drive on road or in water, salt water.

Would you lift or not ?

Cheers.

Ron.
    Personal choice Ron! We mostly lift for more clearance off road and coz we like the look.. if you dont have those reasons why waste the money???

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ah but he says he's got to do the shocks and springs anyway......

I'd change the shocks for Pro-Comp ES 9000 all around then unless your springs are fubar'd I'd see how it goes. If you cahnge the rear springs and uprate them with 2" lift springs the ride is a lot harsher. I did all of the above to my 'runner and am very happy with then result
      It will cost approx £250 to do all of the above
      NO WORRIES!
      Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
        Ah but he says he's got to do the shocks and springs anyway......

I'd change the shocks for Pro-Comp ES 9000 all around then unless your springs are fubar'd I'd see how it goes. If you cahnge the rear springs and uprate them with 2" lift springs the ride is a lot harsher. I did all of the above to my 'runner and am very happy with then result
        It will cost approx £250 to do all of the above

LOL - just trying to be sensible!! It's hard for me!!
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rusty and Linda.

My KZN130 3.0 is sagging big time and i can now feel handling problems coming into play when wet.

Hence I need to do the springs at least. Whilst there, why not the shocks ?

I do like the look : ) indeed but am also on a budget.

When you say you found the ride alot harsher, what do you mean ? would I have to take the corners much slower ? would handling improve or not ?

Thanks guys.

Ron.

Comment

When you say you found the ride alot harsher, what do you mean ? would I have to take the corners much slower ? would handling improve or not ?

Thanks guys.

Ron.
            My ex 4Runner handled much better with LA Supertrux's +2" HD rear coils, even when empty. With nothing in the back, it feels almost (but not quite) like a Surf with the suspension on Hard, but handled sweet, with 20 bags of Wickes gravel in the back, it still wasn't bottoming out.

Much recommended!

Didn't do the shocks, but Procomp ES3000's are cheap good replacement, 9000's are slightly stiffer but still OK and a better shock (gas, as opposed to oil in the 3000's)
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers tony.

Looks like I'm gonna do it.
              Should I be doin the front too ?

And will the roll point change i.e will I have to take corners much slower ?

Thanks.

R.

Comment

Cheers tony.

Looks like I'm gonna do it.
                Should I be doin the front too ?

And will the roll point change i.e will I have to take corners much slower ?

Thanks.

R.
                In theory the centre of gravity has been changed then the surf should handle slightly different. However it seems that the stronger springs cancel the tendancy to roll to a certain degree and most people feel it is an improvement.

I must add I dont speak from experience, as i am just about to fit OME uprated springs to my surf. I then intend to just tweak the torsion bars at the front to keep the surf level!
                www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  My ex 4Runner handled much better with LA Supertrux's +2" HD rear coils, even when empty. With nothing in the back, it feels almost (but not quite) like a Surf with the suspension on Hard, but handled sweet, with 20 bags of Wickes gravel in the back, it still wasn't bottoming out.

Much recommended!

Didn't do the shocks, but Procomp ES3000's are cheap good replacement, 9000's are slightly stiffer but still OK and a better shock (gas, as opposed to oil in the 3000's)
                  did you keep the origanal shocks with the +2" springs tony? want to do the same but was'nt sure if they had enough travel to cope with the extra 2".
                  mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

just put the +2" rear coils on mine, completely changes the look of the surf as it had a tiny bit of sag before. best thing i have done, looks fantastic and handles well, didn't adjust the front as it looks pretty level. will probably get around to the shocks at some point but haven't as yet,

j

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                      did you keep the origanal shocks with the +2" springs tony? want to do the same but was'nt sure if they had enough travel to cope with the extra 2".
                      yeah, they don't have enough reach for the new springs, but this only comes into play if your trying to use all your flex while offroading, it just stops the rear drooping as low as it could. No different on road (unless you have BIG potholes in trhe road!!! )
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I need to do the springs at least. Whilst there, why not the shocks ?
                        You've got to undo the rear shock lower bolts anyway so you're half way there taking them off LOL

What's your budget???

I mean that when the truck is empty it bounces over potholes etc, as Tony said you don't notice the height difference when you've got weight in the back but the handling smooths out some what. As for cornering I still chuck mine around (much to Julie's disgust - she hangs on for grim death ......blue light syndrome I guess ) and it handles great.
                        Hope this helps
                        NO WORRIES!
                        Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
                          I need to do the springs at least. Whilst there, why not the shocks ?
                          You've got to undo the rear shock lower bolts anyway so you're half way there taking them off LOL
                          Cool

What's your budget???
                          mmm may stretch to 250 notes if pushed

I mean that when the truck is empty it bounces over potholes etc, as Tony said you don't notice the height difference when you've got weight in the back but the handling smooths out some what. As for cornering I still chuck mine around (much to Julie's disgust - she hangs on for grim death ......blue light syndrome I guess ) and it handles great.
                          Hope this helps
                          Sure, thanks man it helps alot. will it be alright runing her empty in the rear and still getting a class cruize ?

Comment

Working...
                          X