Lowering the front diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering the front diff?

Has anyone ever considered lowering the front diff on brackets or spacers to allow the front of the Surf to be cranked up even more on the torsion bars? Would it help to reduce CV joint wear if the diff was lowered 2-3"?

I am thinking of putting 2" spring spacers in the rear (in addition to the already longer springs) but the front will need to go higher again too.

Nevillef

Originally posted by laser_jock99
    Has anyone ever considered lowering the front diff on brackets or spacers to allow the front of the Surf to be cranked up even more on the torsion bars? Would it help to reduce CV joint wear if the diff was lowered 2-3"?

I am thinking of putting 2" spring spacers in the rear (in addition to the already longer springs) but the front will need to go higher again too.

Nevillef
    Roger Brown sells a kit to do just this on a 3rd Gen, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Not so sure if the exact same applies to the 2nd gen.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Lowering the diff would certainly reduce wear on the cv's, but by cranking the torsion bars up more you are going to run out of suspension travel because of the bump stops. Low profile stops will help some but I guess that ball joint spacers or modified wishbones are the real answer if you want to stay ifs.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thats how the lifts all work, you have to lower the diff crossmember by the amount of lift, but the lower a arm is fixed to this so you have alter the lower arms, then space the upper ball joint up to meet the upper a arm, etc to match the lift

Lots of related suspesion and steering components need to be sorted out, hense the price of suspension lifts for IFS trucks.

On petrol trucks, the exhaust crossover needs altering to clear the lower position of the front prop.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X