spring assitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring assitors

i have just aquired a toyota hilux surf 2.4 td for towing my caravan which it has just done admirably from norfolk to dorset and back, however when she sits with the van attached the front of the vehicle is sitting a little high, it doesnt seem to affect things much, but would it pay me to stiffen up the rear springs or is there anything anyone can suggest, kindest regards David

i Would go for a new set of coils myself
    http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=139

Im far from any expert, so someone else far more inteligent will put you right if im wrong

you can also get them from milners off road

Comment

Sounds good to me Paul. Nice simple fix. Original springs are probably knackered by now anyway.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The Toyota Land Cruiser springs from Milner are very uprated but give excellent towing and load carrying capabilities to our Surfs.
        It would mean the truck would gain approx 3" of lift over standard on the rear and this would require +2" or +3" shocks to be fitted as well (Roughtrax do a procomp ES +2" shock) the front torsion bars would need tweaked to make the truck level. The longer shocks are required with these springs if you encounter rough ground and value your spine. The standard shocks will bottom out.

The standard height but uprated springs might be a better option (and cheaper) but it depends on how you intend to modify your truck in the future, ie: bigger tires, 33" for instance.

rear +3" milner springs here
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I have a brand new in the box set (two off) air bags for the rear of a Surf.

I bought them from USA but then fitted Landcruiser springs and long shocks to my truck instead.

These airbags fit inside the standard Surf spring. If you are not intending to offroad, or don't feel like replacing all springs and shocks, these might be the way to go.

You fit them and pump them up when you need the extra 'support'.

Mail me if you are interested.

Cheers

Andrew
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by unclefewst View Post
            i have just aquired a toyota hilux surf 2.4 td for towing my caravan which it has just done admirably from norfolk to dorset and back, however when she sits with the van attached the front of the vehicle is sitting a little high, it doesnt seem to affect things much, but would it pay me to stiffen up the rear springs or is there anything anyone can suggest, kindest regards David
            I fitted new springs and a couple of weeks later bought and fitted coil spring assisters.
            They are a rubber type of insert that is fitted in the middle of the spring length and between the turns of the coil and are just over one turn in length.
            They work great on the surf and do not alter the empty ride of the vehicle in any way.
            Mike

Comment

so if fitting land cruiser rear springs to a surf is there any thing to look outforwhen buying them ?, i'm sure a mate has a newish standard set inhis garage ? - will the standard LC springs give lift ?

ta
              Red

Comment

Yes. There are LC springs and LC springs though. Its the ones from the 80 you want if you want a 3" lift and hard rear end (ooer!)

Comment

sounds good to me

Andrew, this sounds just what i need, i have no intention to going off road, just for towing the caravan, how can i contact you Dave

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                  I have a brand new in the box set (two off) air bags for the rear of a Surf.

I bought them from USA but then fitted Landcruiser springs and long shocks to my truck instead.

Hi, i dont intend doing any off road stuff, these sound just the type of thing i would need for towing my van, that was the primary reason for getting it, how can i contact you, as you dont accept e mails,, regards Dave

These airbags fit inside the standard Surf spring. If you are not intending to offroad, or don't feel like replacing all springs and shocks, these might be the way to go.

You fit them and pump them up when you need the extra 'support'.

Mail me if you are interested.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by red october View Post
                    so if fitting land cruiser rear springs to a surf is there any thing to look outforwhen buying them ?, i'm sure a mate has a newish standard set inhis garage ? - will the standard LC springs give lift ?

ta
                    Red
                    Yes they'll give you lift. Caveats: Standard length shocks may top out and the spring seats/cups aren't a perfect fit.

Comment

Caveats?

Is that your new word for the week Matt? You seem to be using it a lot recently.

Caveat : I dont know whether you are really using it a lot because I dont have a sufficient data set.

Comment

afternnon m8

if you are not interested in a lift but just want the truck to sit more level with the 'van on the back - get some 20% uprated standard length springs from Milners - £44.00 and 1/2 hour to fit.

On mine, it doesn't affect the ride without the 'van and it sits nice & level with the 'van on (even when truck also full of stuff, gas bottle, generator, beer etc.you know, the essentials)

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
                        I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Caveats?

Is that your new word for the week Matt? You seem to be using it a lot recently.
                          Only used it twice recently. As and when the occasion rises, nothing more. Sounds far better than that rather common sounding "pro's/cons" though.

Comment

Working...
                          X