Another deeply technical question..!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another deeply technical question..!

What's best, WD40 or a silicone spray to help lube the rear electric windows? They struggle a bit both up and down! (Hmmm, sounds familiar?) A mate suggests spray with either one of the above down the channels, what do you guys think?

All this electric stuff is new to me, I've been used to series Land Rover door tops that slide foward!!
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Originally posted by Damian
    What's best, WD40 or a silicone spray to help lube the rear electric windows? They struggle a bit both up and down! (Hmmm, sounds familiar?) A mate suggests spray with either one of the above down the channels, what do you guys think?

All this electric stuff is new to me, I've been used to series Land Rover door tops that slide foward!!
    silicone spray on the rubbers, grease on the cogs
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Halfrauds do a rubber and nylon lubricant spray (yellow can) I think its silicone based. I used this on all the electric window runners and works real good. I spray it in the rubber runners first then used a rag and pushed it in to the runners to clean them thoroughly then lightly sprayed the runners again and left it for a few mins to dry off. Works fine, just avoid getting it on the rubber edge on top of the doors either side of the window or it smears on the window each time they go up.
      Using the rear windows a bit more often also keeps them running smoother.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thanks for the info......... and did I mention what a great and informative site this is?

Damian.
        Damian

Comment

Thanks for the info......... and did I mention what a great and informative site this is?

Damian.
          you did now.....
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Don't use WD40 on anything mechanical- especially your window mechanism. It will just wash off the grease that Toyota put there and then dry up leaving nothing. Get a can of spray GREASE for the window gears. Be sure to get plenty into the horizontal 'scissor runners' too as this is where all the friction is. Clean out the window rubbers as they'll be full of dirt and grit- then lube these with silicon grease.

While you've got the back window covers off get a piantbrush out and treat the inside of the rear door with a good coat of Waxoyl- twill stop it being rusty from the inside in 5 years time! Make sure you don't block the drain holes with it though.

Nevillef

Comment

Oiled up

I was thinking of using some old engine oil to both lubricate the window winding mechanism inside the door and to provide some corrosion protection against the elements. Is this a good idea? Opinions?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
                I was thinking of using some old engine oil to both lubricate the window winding mechanism inside the door and to provide some corrosion protection against the elements. Is this a good idea? Opinions?

Rob
                You'll want something thicker to stick to the window mech and not run off. Vasaline or grease works.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

How do I get to the runners on the back door? I've noticed two rubbers edges at each side held in with screws, do I need to remove both these for access?

Cheers..
                  Damian

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    You'll want something thicker to stick to the window mech and not run off. Vasaline or grease works.
                    but what ever you do, don't go to boots with your mate and buy 3 for 2 HUGE tubs of vaseline!! you get dodgy looks!
                    but our RC cars ran great with greased bearings!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                    X