Front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel bearings

Passenger side on mine is bu99ered. There is excessive play when I rock the wheel, and a clattery metallic type sound.

Milner list an inner and an outer bearing.

As I cant get the search function to work at the moment, has anyone replaced theirs? How difficult a job is it?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wh...ringsfront.htm

Comment

Thanks Vince, nice to see you're back on form!

Looking at that, they may not actually need replacement, rather just regreasing and the hub nut adjusting...

However, given the price of bearings, it might just be better to swap them out?

Tony N, and you other experienced mechs, do front bearings go, or do they just need fettling?

Comment

Further to this, judging by the attached instructions, there's no need for a press to get the bearings in and out. Is this correct?

Comment

thats correct

Comment

Feeling better about it then...

looks like a sunny afternoon job.

Have you done it? How long did it take you?

Comment

it's an easy job to do but takes time, as for compressing no need as they are a push fit. when the bearing go the in genral break up

Comment

yh done it before, i reckon about 2-3hrs a side

Comment

<Mr Burns voice> ... "Excellent"

Comment

Make sure you have the seal flush. It's a straight forward job mate. I think it took us about 2hrs to do our Alans.
                    Brian

Comment

Did it make a horrible noise before you did it?

Comment

Check the seal and the bronze bushes .....when the drivers side went last summer it sounded like a squeeling hammerdrill the seal had gone and the spring in the seal had been dragged through the bushes
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

NOT wheel bearings making the noise.

Lower passenger side shock mount. Took out the shock and the lower bush sleeve has worn slightly at an angle because the mounting tabs on the wishbone aren't quite in line with the top mount. Damage cause by old shock maybe?

Anyway, a small amount of adjustment with a 2lb adjusting tool has them more or less aligned and the noise has gone. Can you believe that no-where on site was there any copper grease?!

Tony, the lower bushes on the TJMs are as hard as hell though. Are softer bushes available, as this would take up slight misalignment.

Comment

Working...
                          X