big end gone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big end gone??

hi all im after some advice my truck has started running like a bag of s*** and is alot louder than it was it has also losta hell of alot of power i have had a mobile mechanic out who i trust but he has diagnosed as the big end has gone and states it would be cheaper to replace the whole engine

i have received a qute from stevo but before i go down that route would like some opinions

is replacing the engine the cheapest way to resolve this ?
    is it worth doing at all ?
    does any one know of a surf expert local to bury for a second opinion not sure how far if at all i should be driving the car?
    on top of this i will also be replacing all shocks and rear springs

i know it would probably be cheaper to replace the truck but knowing my luck i would inherit other probs at least this way i know there shouldnt be anything to expensive left to go wrong as im planning on doing alot of touring in a few months

any advice would be grateful

truck details might
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

What age is your Surf and what engine is It 2.4 or 3.0?

Maybe one of the breakers in parts for sale have a complete motor?
      www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

sorry L reg ssrx 2.4 diesel automatic hope that helps body work fine just engine and suspension problem
        dont really wont to get one from the breakers i would rather have a refurbed with new type head and get the cambelt etc done at the same time stevo has quoted £1800 + vat fitted
        cheers
        Last edited by BAV1; 19 May 2008, 19:32.

Comment

If every thing else is good, then a Stevo engine sounds a fair bet to me.

Otherwise maybe a newer 3.0 could be an option?
          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Are the newer 3ltr models prone to the same head problems?

as this was another reason i was thinking of replacment engine also are there any clear symptons for a faulty big end as at the moment im just going of one persons diagnosis an anothers "it sounds deep in the engine to me"

havnt really got the money to spend on try replacing this try replacing that and 3 months down the line come to the conclusion that we still need a new engine

thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
            X