Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hilux Gods hate me, it was never meant to be :sad3:

My saga.

My friend and I are doing a charity rally this summer and I've spent months looking for a suitable vehicle and was obviously delighted when I was given an old (1992) Hilux Surf! I drove down the country (I live in Ireland) and got the keys last week. With my new keys in hand I went over to check out my new car which had been left by its previous owners outside their old house which they'd sold. I drove around the corner only to see my lovely new car being carried away on the back of a lorry! Cue a rather undramatic car chase which ended in me having to pay €50 to get my car put back where it came from (the new owner of the house had finally lost his patience with it and broken the back window to get in and called for it to be towed). I then found out that the old owner had given me the wrong keys!!

So there I am, with a Hilux that has to be moved, which I can't move as I don't have the right keys with a broken back window. I called the old owner and she said she'd found another key which might be the right one. So I spent the weekend waiting for the key in the post praying that no one would vandalise my car!

Eventually the key arrived today and I went over to the car driving with my fingers crossed that it would be the right one. It was, I was delighted, my mechanic lived only accross the road so I dropped the key in to him and he said he'd move the car into his garage later today. Happy me.

Then about half an hour ago I get a call from him. He'd turned it on and the timing belt had snapped.
    I'm about to cry, we can't afford to get it fixed (we're both students, the engine and gear box already had water in it so he had said about €700-€800 euro for that on top of fixing the timing belt and everything going with it) and my exams start on Friday so I don't have time to go looking for a replacement car. Our only option left is to take a 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero which has been off the road for 3 years and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for our trip.

DAMN YOU SURF GODS, WHY DID YOU TAUNT ME??

The point of this thread?? Not much really, just to make all you guys realise how lucky you all are, driving round in your wonderful Surfs. Appreciate it!!

damn, what a shitter mate!

Comment

lifes a bi tch mate sorry to hear your havin bad luck

Comment

Slugsie has (at least had) one sat in his garden that he was thinking of breaking as it has a cracked head. He offered it to another one of you charity adventurers for £100. Why not get that from him, swap on the parts you have on your current heap sell the heap to a breaker and get surfing?

Comment

You could always break it for parts....

You might be able to get a decent amount of euros! (my keyboard aint got ze euro sign...)

Could be able to put that towards another hilux project. doing a big trip in a truck thats been off the road for 3 years is asking for an expensive trip

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Slugsie has (at least had) one sat in his garden that he was thinking of breaking as it has a cracked head. He offered it to another one of you charity adventurers for £100. Why not get that from him, swap on the parts you have on your current heap sell the heap to a breaker and get surfing?
            While that would be absolutely wonderful, I presume he's based in England? I'm in Dublin in Ireland. Also, I have very limited mechanical skills so would have to get someone to do it for me and that'd be costly wouldn't it?

It would be wonderful though...

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
              You could always break it for parts....

You might be able to get a decent amount of euros! (my keyboard aint got ze euro sign...)

Could be able to put that towards another hilux project. doing a big trip in a truck thats been off the road for 3 years is asking for an expensive trip
              I know man! And a Pajero too, haven't heard the best things about them but it's all we've got at this stage. We're heading to Mongolia with a detour to the Pamir mountains so there shouldn't be anything incredibly bad and we're expecting to go about 10,000 miles.

I think I might keep it in my garden as a project. As I said i'm not a mechanic but I am mechanically minded (civil engineering student) so it might be a good way to learn? And i'll definately be doing another trip sometime....

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Hippy View Post

I think I might keep it in my garden as a project. As I said i'm not a mechanic but I am mechanically minded (civil engineering student) so it might be a good way to learn? And i'll definately be doing another trip sometime....
                Thats a good idea mate!

I've been learning bits an bobs from working on my truck! With my uncle watching over an my cousin helping out

Ive been there for everything thats happened to my truck!

from ...

to...

Ive learnt a lot from working on it!! After all, its just nuts an bolts right?!

Comment

DAMN YOU SURF GODS, WHY DID YOU TAUNT ME??
                  Some one 'gives' you a car, thats been sat for ages. Don't blame the Surfs Gods, it was free for a reason!!!

Try worshiping at the temple of reality once in a while.

(its probably got a cracked head to....)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    Some one 'gives' you a car, thats been sat for ages. Don't blame the Surfs Gods, it was free for a reason!!!

Try worshiping at the temple of reality once in a while.

(its probably got a cracked head to....)

The reason it had been left sitting was because its' previous owners had gone through a nasty divorce and the car was off the road (due to the frost plug) and was forgotten about until I chased them up on it.

The reason they gave it to me for free was because I was giving it to charity at the end of the run. The previous owner had worked in nearly all the countries we'll be going through and knew that it'd be going to a good cause.

I got their number through my mechanic who had done all the work on the car since it had come in from Japan. He reckons that water must have gotten in through the frost plug and into the timing belt which had corroded during the couple of years the car had been standing.

Or they knew that it was knackered and weren't arsed getting it moved until I came along with a handy way out!

If I go by your logic i'm not going to get anywhere with the Pajero either.
                    I hope to prove you wrong sir!

Comment

If I go by your logic i'm not going to get anywhere with the Pajero either.
                      I hope to prove you wrong sir!
                      Its a Pajero, I'd rather push the Surf....

Happy to proved wrong fingers firmly crossed, honestly, but after years of working solely on Surfs, you kinda know whats happening next....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X