• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tyres ....

hi all

my surf needs new tyres..

the old ones are general xp 2000 II 265/70 15

buy the same brand? about 5% of my time off road ..

any ideas as to were to shop ? i`m nr. preston - blackpool area

it`s the fronts that are bold .. so swap the gd back ones to the front ? put new on the back?
    also i`ve 2 types of wheel nut ? some with a washer the others with out ? one set on the fronts other on back i forget which way around .

cheers tom

just looking at roughtrax site

the general grabber at2 seems gd ? £62 + postage ?

Comment

do a google search for camskills as they do good prices on the tyres
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

find a local tyre shop who can get khumos, and go for 31/10.5/15's Road VENTURE AT (written in blue on the sidewall) - mine were £80 a corner inc fitting, balancing and tracking. would have been cheaper from roughtrax, but then add courier, fitting and tracking and it works out about the same but far less hastle. btw they are 70/30 on/off road and ace.
        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

You might want to consider these.
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45235
          Brian

Comment

Tracking

Talking of tracking, I've been running my Surf for about 3 months now, the tyres were pretty good when I bought it, however, I've recently noticed a bit of inside tyre scrub, particularly to the right hand side, how are these beasts on tyre wear? The only thing that is bothering me is that the wife hit a very large pot hole whilst we were up in Teesdale, and it's been at the back of my mind that the tracking may start to show up as a consequence!
            Been on to Toyota who have been fair enough to say that it could be an expensive job, and they only do 'wheel alignment' and not tracking. £75 an hour and its by the hour, as everything could be solid on a 12 year old car!!
            They also said that they were a bit heavy on tyres anyway, being 4x4. Are they talking pants or what, can tracking be done by an independant garage, for less!!

Comment

Originally posted by swampy View Post
              Talking of tracking, I've been running my Surf for about 3 months now, the tyres were pretty good when I bought it, however, I've recently noticed a bit of inside tyre scrub, particularly to the right hand side, how are these beasts on tyre wear? The only thing that is bothering me is that the wife hit a very large pot hole whilst we were up in Teesdale, and it's been at the back of my mind that the tracking may start to show up as a consequence!
              Been on to Toyota who have been fair enough to say that it could be an expensive job, and they only do 'wheel alignment' and not tracking. £75 an hour and its by the hour, as everything could be solid on a 12 year old car!!
              They also said that they were a bit heavy on tyres anyway, being 4x4. Are they talking pants or what, can tracking be done by an independant garage, for less!!

Any independant can do it, if they can work with the tyre size, just phone and ask.

The figures they need ( caster/camber & toe in/out) are the same as the 4runner, and maybe in the FAQ's or the sticky threads somewhere.

I had mine done, and it made a BIG difference to handling and braking, well worth the money, especially considering the cost of tyres.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                The figures they need ( caster/camber & toe in/out) are the same as the 4runner, and maybe in the FAQ's or the sticky threads somewhere.
                They're here too:

http://forums.bauchan.org/4x4/viewtopic.php?id=73

Comment

Cheers for that Rob,
                  will give it a go and see what comes up.

Comment

got mine done at a place called CTS in worcester - guess they are a franchise judging by the setup, so might be in your area. they were fine with it, £25 for the whole lot, which I queried as it sounded well cheap, but they said it was for 4 wheel alignment, so i said OK!!. bloke who did it used to own a hilux pickup, and said it would not be a problem. they had to use a lot of wd40 and a blow torch to get it freed up, but never charged me any extra for the time. and it handles so much better (but it has new boots and shocks and springs as well, so who knows!).
                    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Wheel alignment

Yep, got mine done at a place called Central Tyres, Chorley, Lancs, good set of lads, £25 all in, laser tracking, mine was toeing out hence the inside scrub, they said it was wise to get it checked at least once a year, as the old chancellor is not too bothered about recycling the money we are being screwed for in fuel tax, road tax, any other tax! And ensuring that we are totally pot hole free!
                      Cheers Tom
                      Last edited by swampy; 21 May 2008, 12:32. Reason: crap spelling!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        thats for a 2 gen, i guess it would be diff for a 3 gen?????
                        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                        X