Roof Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Tent

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a roof tent to a 1992 surf? Been having a look at the surf and cant really see anywhere to mount a roof rack... Any help would be much appreciated
    Happy Surfing!

Do a search for roof rack, I know a couple of the guys have fitted them, and there are a few gutterless types out there, so yes, a roof tent can be an option for a surf, although it ain't a cheap option.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

bundubasher has one fitted - details on his site somewhere http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/

also check out some of the roof rail installs people have done - the lang-shankit scunner, maverick & bushwhacker are the ones that come to mind. there's a couple of write ups about.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Hi - Currently Surfless in Brighton but notes on my roofrack are here:

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/exterior.htm

Go well,
        @africa4x4cafe
        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

you may want to add additional bracing to the inside of the roof skin. The internal roof braces should be fairly easy to come by... weld a few more in.

Then you can use any of the previously mentioned methods to bolt through the roof skin, and now that you have the braces in the 'right' place... somewhere to brace off...

Plenty of rooftents to chose from... needn't be one of the popular brands.

Autohome from Italy
          James Baroud from France

Obvious one, and pricey but great quality I am told... Eezi-Awn...

Comment

I had a Howling Moon RTT - very sim to the Eezi-Awn but I thought it was better quality and cheaper. MyWay now does similar RTTs - but of lighter materials.

Anyway, my roofrack doesn't look as smart as one that involves drilling the roof but, IMO, it is alot stronger (those sort of roof bars are sensibly limited to about 70kgs whereas I've had 2-300kgs up there with no problem) and there is no danger of water ingress.
            Attached Files
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Bundubasher, now that is what a surf is supposed to look like...

I'll have to look at the howling moon tents again... still a bit pricey though... still trying to track down whether to source the distributor here, or ship direct from SA.

Comment

Do a web search for "MyWay Rooftents" - they now have a distributor in the UK and are supposedly more reasonable than EA or HM RTTs.

The first pic was on the road to Nairobi Jan '95 and this one was on the way back in '96. This time we weighed in at 3010kg - 500kg over GVM! WE only managed this with the HD Old Man Emu setup and Mich XZLs at 40psi.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bundubasher; 24 April 2008, 17:24. Reason: txt edit
                @africa4x4cafe

Comment

And there is that mad paintjob... fantastic...

Comment

Mad paint job? What me?
                    Attached Files
                    @africa4x4cafe

Comment

that is rather special...

with a rather bald front tyre...

Comment

Yes, we did do ALOT of driving in Africa...however, I then replaced the Mich XZLs for Firestone Stallions (750/16) when I started getting bogged alot off road.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by bundubasher; 24 April 2008, 21:47.
                        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

To get back to the OP's question - sort of...here is a pic of my truck before we shipped it to Efrika. You can see two Michelin XZLs mounted up front on the roofrack and the RoofTopTent mounted to the rear. It opened to the rear as well - giving shade when you have to work/cook on the back door.
                          Attached Files
                          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

There's a discussion on RTTs here:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ay-tents-33960
                            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

and they go on to mention an ebay seller, that sells PrimeTech Tents...

And they come from:
                              http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/10..._Top_Tent.html

A European based disty, selling for about 799 Euros... 629 squid...
                              http://www.sportsshop.de/afterbuy/sh...px?shopid=7604
                              And the Euro keeps getting stronger....

Perhaps there might be an option to extract a 'demo' sample from the Prime Tech guys...

Also a selection here:
                              http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Roof_Tent.html

Comment

Working...
                              X