Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing oil

Hi y'all

I need to do an oil change, and I have 1/2 gallon of 10w 40 semi synth left over from the last change, and a full gallon of 15 w 40 semi synth that didn't get used from when I had my VW LT 35 last year.

Thing is, can I mix these two oils as both are semi synth, although slightly different grades, and one is for the older surf engine, and the other is for the newer TDi engine??

What do you guys think, if you need specs, I can go out to the garage and get them for you.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
    Hi y'all

I need to do an oil change, and I have 1/2 gallon of 10w 40 semi synth left over from the last change, and a full gallon of 15 w 40 semi synth that didn't get used from when I had my VW LT 35 last year.

Thing is, can I mix these two oils as both are semi synth, although slightly different grades, and one is for the older surf engine, and the other is for the newer TDi engine??

What do you guys think, if you need specs, I can go out to the garage and get them for you.
    your ok Rob i got my specs on but i don't know about the oil either..
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      your ok Rob i got my specs on but i don't know about the oil either..

Hmmm, I, on the other hand, don't have my specs on, but I supose I could get the specifications instead
      Last edited by plumb bob; 17 April 2008, 21:43.
      Rob

Comment

It'll be fine, you'll just end up with 12.5w 40 oil!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          It'll be fine, you'll just end up with 12.5w 40 oil!
          Cool, I just wondered about it being different specs, for the TDi, and whether that would make any difference, as the surf engine was designed to run on mineral oil, but I guess for a primative engine like the 2LT, oil is oil is oil, and pretty much anything will do.
          Rob

Comment

Japanese vehicles like high ash oil and european low ash as far as I know. Oils ain't oils. Use Jap spec oil.

Nev

Comment

Working...
            X