ATF fluid level problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF fluid level problem

Following my radiator removal and refit, I thought I'd have to top up the ATF level as I lost about half a litre from the radiator (I did put in a catch pan, but it also caught a lot of mud). Thing is, the level has stayed high, almost too high. Even when cold the level is up the dip-stick past the hot level. The fluid is a very dark reddy/brown colour so it's in need of changing and I'll do that when I'm servicing it next month.

Anyone got any hints about what is going on? Is there a recommended procedure for refitting the ATF pipes other than just connecting them. I've got a 300mile+ journey to do tomorrow, and really don't want to break the gearbox if I can help it. I've only taken it on a couple of short runs (mainly to ensure the coolant is properly topped up), and the gearbox seems to be working normally.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Anyone got any ideas?

*bumpity*
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

drive it about for a bit and then keep going thru the gears and then check again.if it still shows the correct level then you should be ok as it may of been a bit over full before
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Half a litre is not a huge problem, it's about the difference betwen the high and low marks when hot.

Are you checking the level with the engine running and after cycling through all the gears a couple of times?

AFIK, there's no recommended sequence for re-fitting the pipes.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I drove it around a bit this evening, and I'll do it again in the morning and check the levels. Fingers crossed it all seems OK, and should get me to Newcastle and back tomorrow evening.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Half a litre is not a huge problem, it's about the difference betwen the high and low marks when hot.

Are you checking the level with the engine running and after cycling through all the gears a couple of times?

AFIK, there's no recommended sequence for re-fitting the pipes.
            I've checked the levels after running the box with the transfer lever in neutral on my driveway, and after a few short runs. When I was checking the level, the engine was off.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
              I've checked the levels after running the box with the transfer lever in neutral on my driveway, and after a few short runs. When I was checking the level, the engine was off.
              You need to check it with the engine running, you'll get false high levels otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                When I was checking the level, the engine was off.
                Oops!

Engine idling, in Park. Warmed up is better for a more accurate reading.

With the motor off, the level will look really high, as no fluid is being pumped round the box' its, all in the sump.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Oops!

Engine idling, in Park. Warmed up is better for a more accurate reading.

With the motor off, the level will look really high, as no fluid is being pumped round the box' its, all in the sump.
                  Heh heh, OK, that makes sense. I'll warm it up and check in the morning. I've got a bottle of fluid waiting to top it up so no problem if it's a bit low.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

I said that too

Comment

I said that too
                      I know you did, but the reply button on Tonys reply was easier to get to once I had scrolled to the bottom of the page after reading all the replies.

Sorry if you feel ignored.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

I said that too
                        He didn't understand your accent.......

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          He didn't understand your accent.......
                          Ah, that explains it then

Comment

Ah, that explains it then

If anything I'm more likely to understand a good northern regional accent than some of those weird southern ones.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                            X