City Diesel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Diesel.

I keep hearing tales of doom and gloom about city diesel(eg.Tesco) being bad for your engine due to not enough lubrication for the fuel pump, unless a good fuel additive is used. I always use Redex diesel treatment but i am not sure if this is just a system cleaner rather than lubricant as well. Anyone got any opinions on this and if so, can anyone recommend a better fuel additive? I have to keep using Tesco fuel, otherwise the other half moans about not getting the clubcard points!! (how sad is that?)

Ken.
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Originally posted by whitehawk
    I keep hearing tales of doom and gloom about city diesel(eg.Tesco) being bad for your engine due to not enough lubrication for the fuel pump, unless a good fuel additive is used. I always use Redex diesel treatment but i am not sure if this is just a system cleaner rather than lubricant as well. Anyone got any opinions on this and if so, can anyone recommend a better fuel additive? I have to keep using Tesco fuel, otherwise the other half moans about not getting the clubcard points!! (how sad is that?)

Ken.
    have a read at this http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/...NZConf/08b.asp
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini

Thx for this link, it just goes to prove that the more you find out, the more confused you become.

Ken

Comment

Ken.
        If you're concerned over lack of lubricity (an increasing problem with the newer low sulpher fuels), try adding a litre of new veg-oil to your tank. Burns the same as diesel and will lube your pump effectivly, idealy add prior to filling the tank to ensure a good mix with the diesel. Plus if you get the cheap oil from aldi or lidl its even cheaper than the diesel!
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

What about Shell Diesel Extra?
          I use this all the time wherever possible.

It claims to give extra protection, extra performance and extra efficiency.
          It is high in cetane. Not sure about lubrication properties though.
          There is less noise smoother running and less emissions (apparently)

Surely the fuel co's must be aware of the damage caused to turbo's etc... if there is insufficient lubrication in their product?

Could result in many claims against them if it can be proven their fuel has caused the damage?
          Ian
          One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
            What about Shell Diesel Extra?
            I use this all the time wherever possible.

It claims to give extra protection, extra performance and extra efficiency.
            It is high in cetane. Not sure about lubrication properties though.
            There is less noise smoother running and less emissions (apparently)

Surely the fuel co's must be aware of the damage caused to turbo's etc... if there is insufficient lubrication in their product?

Could result in many claims against them if it can be proven their fuel has caused the damage?
            I`ve heard good things about shell too. Apparently, somewhere in the small print, the low sulphur fuel manufacturers do suggest the use of a good quality additive. I`m thinking of going down the odd drop of veggie oil route.

Comment

Hi there, just reading up on surf's cos gonna hopefully be getting first one soon, will also be my first diesel. Am i understanding this right or am i being thick. Are you guys saying that you put the veggie oil in with the fuel without any mods to the engine ?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by JimH
                Hi there, just reading up on surf's cos gonna hopefully be getting first one soon, will also be my first diesel. Am i understanding this right or am i being thick. Are you guys saying that you put the veggie oil in with the fuel without any mods to the engine ?

Cheers.
                The short answer to your question is Yes, however, deciding to use a fuel in your vehicle which is not reccomended by its manufacturer requires carefull consideration. Check out this thread here http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=1347 for some more backround on the topic, and if you are giving it serious consideration, please also follow the links found there and continue your research to your own satisfaction.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Apparently, somewhere in the small print, the low sulphur fuel manufacturers do suggest the use of a good quality additive.
                  Here is a statement from Shell:

It is true that the removal of sulphur from todays fuels results in a loss of lubricity performance of these fuels, however it is mandatory for a lubricity additive to be added to Ultra Low Sulphur Diesels (ULSD) at the refinery, restoring lost performance resulting in no noticeable difference as far as the customer is concerned.
                  There is no need to add any further additives to the fuel.
                  I do hope that this helps to assuage your concerns.
                  Kind regards,
                  Kathryn Atkinson
                  Fuel Quality Co-ordinator
                  Shell U.K. Oil Products Limited
                  Rowlandsway House, Rowlandsway, Manchester M22 5SB, United Kingdom
                  Ian
                  One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                  X