Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff oil leak

Hi Guys
    I have a leak, not a large one, but one I want to address none the less....

Its where the flange goes into the rear diff.... (if thats not technically accurate, the bit the prop shaft bolts onto that then goes into the diff... flange?)

It looks like thats leaking... I presume its just a seal thats gone....

Is this a simple job?
    Does anyone know if the bolts are torqued up and if so what torque settings I need to know as I don't have a manual yet...

Any other info on the job would be well appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance.

CM
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

I had the same problem on mine but it was also leaking at the top of where the flange thingy goes on to the diff, so we took the breather off which is located around the top centre of the diff, gave it a good clean(it needed it!), thiis cured the second leak but it still leaks a little at the same place as yours after high speed or towing weight,

if you get any useful info pls let me know mate!

Comment

Originally posted by wadey6
      I had the same problem on mine but it was also leaking at the top of where the flange thingy goes on to the diff, so we took the breather off which is located around the top centre of the diff, gave it a good clean(it needed it!), thiis cured the second leak but it still leaks a little at the same place as yours after high speed or towing weight,

if you get any useful info pls let me know mate!
      it is usually a blocked breather that makes them leak in the first place
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Ok That sounds cool

So does that mean if I sort the breather out it will fix the leak? Or now the seal has gone, do I still need to replace?

Which leads me to.... a)where is the breather, and whats the best way to clean... and...

b)if I do have to still replace seal, original question - is their specific torque settings I will need to know..

c)what oil should I be using in my diff....

thanks guys
        2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Anyone.............?

Ideally just need to know the location of the breather to start with so I can clean it out...

nb how do you clean the breather out? Is it just a pipe?

thanks
          2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

The breather is situated on the top of the diff just off centre to the n/s,it looks like a small nut with a metal cap on top about half inch dia, beleive it or not I did have a few pics of it from when mine was leaking , but erased them from my pc the day before i read your thread!
            Originally posted by carbonman
            Anyone.............?

Ideally just need to know the location of the breather to start with so I can clean it out...

nb how do you clean the breather out? Is it just a pipe?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wadey6
              The breather is situated on the top of the diff just off centre to the n/s,it looks like a small nut with a metal cap on top about half inch dia, beleive it or not I did have a few pics of it from when mine was leaking , but erased them from my pc the day before i read your thread!

thanks wadey6, how to you go about cleaning it?
              2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

thanks wadey6, how to you go about cleaning it?
                Just about to start cleaning out my diff breathers, I noticed both front and rear need doing, any last usefull tips I might need to know bearing in mind I have never done this before?

Will just using some wire to poke up in the breathers be ok?

Thanks guys
                2 Tone Mud Master!

Comment

Just about to start cleaning out my diff breathers, I noticed both front and rear need doing, any last usefull tips I might need to know bearing in mind I have never done this before?

Will just using some wire to poke up in the breathers be ok?

Thanks guys
                  compressed air would be better
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Working...
                  X