Front wheel free play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel free play

Took the surf to have the tracking done today (2.4td LN130), they had it up on ramps and the angle was off the scale on one side, causing the tyres to wear uneven, they set it up as best they could but could not complete due to the movement in the near side front wheel, as he moved this wheel the other side stayed still, he also said that he could feel knocking on full lock when sreering, which i asume this will be the bump stops wanting lubing up

Any clues on the wheel movement

Ps, they never charged me for the 1/2 hour trying to set it up, just told me to bring it back once ive got it sorted.
    Roy
    When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
    Took the surf to have the tracking done today (2.4td LN130), they had it up on ramps and the angle was off the scale on one side, causing the tyres to wear uneven, they set it up as best they could but could not complete due to the movement in the near side front wheel, as he moved this wheel the other side stayed still, he also said that he could feel knocking on full lock when sreering, which i asume this will be the bump stops wanting lubing up

Any clues on the wheel movement

Ps, they never charged me for the 1/2 hour trying to set it up, just told me to bring it back once ive got it sorted.
    The most likely cause is the idler arm. Did they not tell you what the problem was?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
      The most likely cause is the idler arm. Did they not tell you what the problem was?
      No they are basically a tyre and exhaust garage and didn't go into much detail, what is the best way to check, jack it up and fiddle ????

The movement is only in the LHS (near side) wheel, would the steering idler effect both sides? i know it is fitted on the LHS and is a common failure point but i was thinking more like wheel bearing as it only effects one wheel?
      Last edited by roylittle0; 19 March 2008, 12:50.
      Roy

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
        No they are basically a tyre and exhaust garage and didn't go into much detail, what is the best way to check, jack it up and fiddle ????

The movement is only in the LHS (near side) wheel, would the steering idler effect both sides? i know it is fitted on the LHS and is a common failure point but i was thinking more like wheel bearing as it only effects one wheel?
        The idler affects the passenger side more, so that is where you'd notice it.

Best way to check is to jack the front passenger side up, and move the wheel. The ball-joint on the end of the idler arm shouldn't flex if all is well. If it's worn, then you will see it moving around.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

The way to check wheel bearings is to jack that wheel up, and try to rock the wheel top/bottom. It pretty much shouldn't move.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
            The idler affects the passenger side more, so that is where you'd notice it.

Best way to check is to jack the front passenger side up, and move the wheel. The ball-joint on the end of the idler arm shouldn't flex if all is well. If it's worn, then you will see it moving around.
            Im going to brave the cold and go out and have a look now, then if it is i can get one ordered today, before the weekend
            Roy

Comment

There apears to be movement in the idler arm and inner track rod end but it is difficult to determine what is normal and what is excessive, is it likely that both have gone or worth changing one at a time starting with the idler arm as this is the most common.?
              Roy

Comment

Idlers do go, and are easy and fairly cheap to replace. However, mine has a small amount of play too, and looking at how all the ball joints are arranged, i cant see how you could ever have 'no' play.

PS, track rod ends are cheap.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Idlers do go, and are easy and fairly cheap to replace. However, mine has a small amount of play too, and looking at how all the ball joints are arranged, i cant see how you could ever have 'no' play.

PS, track rod ends are cheap.
                  Yes i agree i can't see how there can be no play in them, not with the amount Toyota have fitted, anyway i've just ordered a idler and inner ball joint from flee bay for £73 inc delivery, so ill give that a go and see if it is any better. its such a good feeling having money in paypal.!!!
                  Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X